winter touring jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxrybound

Reaction score
I want to buy a touring winter jacket. Like the Kilimanjaro etc. Do you recommend a jacket? I just don't want Velcro up the front up the jacket and want water proof . I would also like zippers for my sleeve closer. I found the teknic freeway but only in run me over black or real man neon. Thanks for any suggestions

I want to buy a touring winter jacket. Like the Kilimanjaro etc. Do you recommend a jacket? I just don't want Velcro up the front up the jacket and want water proof . I would also like zippers for my sleeve closer. I found the teknic freeway but only in run me over black or real man neon. Thanks for any suggestions
The Tourmaster Epic seems to be a popular winter touring 3/4 jacket that is resonably priced at new enough.com for around $200

We have the tourmaster transition jackets. Out here the morning could be 30 degrees warming up to 70 by mid afternoon and cycling back to 30 in the evening. These jackets are AWESOME, they keep up comfortable in this zone, have liners that go in and out in minutes, ventilation a plenty, you would think you were wearing a mesh jacket when they are all open.

Highly recommended.

Look around, you can find them cheaper than here:

https://www.jafrum.com/Shop-By-Brand/Mens-Tourmaster-Jackets/Tour-Master-Jackets-Tourmaster-Transition-Series-2-Jacket-Mens

If your in the price range of the Kilimanjaro jacket you might want to look at all the Rev'it gear.... really good stuff..

For some good videos of all types of gear, they show and tell about all types check out the revzilla web site...

Tourmaster Sabre 2

https://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Saber-Series-2-Jacket-p-242_3.html

h_k32_red_black.jpg

This is what I'm using. I just got back from a 2 hour ride in 37 degree weather and the jacket kept me nice and toasty. You can find them for <$120

The Tourmaster Epic seems to be a popular winter touring 3/4 jacket that is resonably priced at new enough.com for around $200
agree

I've had several different jackets and this is by far my favorite

in driving rain with no additional rain gear, I was warm and dry...hidden hood is the bomb on this jacket

recommend high viz

https://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/tourmaster-epic-jacket/

tourmaster-epic-jacket.jpg

I'm sold on the Tourmasters..........the wife has a sabre and I have the pivot 2........have ridden in 25 degree temps and stayed nice and warm.

+1 on either the Transitions II or Epic.

I have the Transitions II now and will replace it with the Epic in the near future.

Transitions II, with a Blazewear battery-operated rider vest underneath, set at "2." With that, I've done 6 hours starting at 34 and rising to mid-40s, with no problems.

Added benefit of Transitions -- also used it at 93 and humid -- once moving, really not bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies on the transition 2 does it have Velcro holding the flap over the zipper? tried finding pics of this but its had to tell

Thanks for all the replies on the transition 2 does it have Velcro holding the flap over the zipper? tried finding pics of this but its had to tell
There is velcro holding the flap over the zipper. For hot weather, you've also got velco set up to hold the flap (and zipper) open

agree

I've had several different jackets and this is by far my favorite

in driving rain with no additional rain gear, I was warm and dry...hidden hood is the bomb on this jacket

recommend high viz

https://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/tourmaster-epic-jacket/

tourmaster-epic-jacket.jpg
Just purchased an Epic, Hi Viz yellow and am very happy. Good fit, lots of pockets, kept me warm yesterday at 29F, so far so good.

I have a TM Pivot for late fall and early spring....Velcro is a pain I agree but, it has saved the loss of my wallet, phone etc as my CRS (cant remember shxx) syndrome continues to win....Overall I like the quality and functionality of the TM products.

I suggest taking a look at the Gerbing Extreme Elements Jacket https://www.gerbing.com/Products/Outerwear/extreme%20element%20jacket.html if you have not already. Multi Sport use...Dont know if it has velcro but worth a look and you dont mind hassling with plug ins and outlet wiring etc. I tried one on while very skeptical and was impressed. Bought the jacket liner ...

Anyway, my 2 cents.

It is hard to avoid velcro. The makers use it to hold the folded waterproof flaps in place, similar to how a dry bag works. Without these flaps even the best waterproof zippers will leak.

For those of you that own them: How is the armor in these Tourmaster 3/4 length Jackets? I have some Tourmaster mesh jackets and pants for summer-time and have replaced all of the (ultra comfy) thin foam pads they used for CE rated triple density foam armor. The foam stuff just doesn't look substantial enough for its intended purpose.

I also have a bunch of Fieldsheer jackets (yeah, I'm a gear whore) and am much happier with the armor that they provide. It's the hard plastic CE stuff, so isn't as comfy, but would do more good in a get off. Their sizes can be a bit tricky as it varies quite widely by jacket model. They also seem to make and discontinue new models often, which makes reviewing the ones that I have (a 3/4 length "Zero Condition", and a HiViz Quattro, as well as an older mesh one I don't know the name of) kind of moot, except in a general sense. I would recommend any of them if you can find one that fits properly.

Olympia does make nice gear (we have some of that too!!). But it is not really of much better quality than either Fieldsheer or Firstgear IMO, and because of their distribution practices, they are significantly more expensive for what you get. You almost never see it "on sale" anywhere, and when you do the discount is minimal.

I have some Tourmaster mesh jackets and pants for summer-time and have replaced all of the (ultra comfy) thin foam pads they used for CE rated triple density foam armor. The foam stuff just doesn't look substantial enough for its intended purpose.
Hmm. What did you replace it with (source, description, cost, photos...)? :huh:

I have some Tourmaster mesh jackets and pants for summer-time and have replaced all of the (ultra comfy) thin foam pads they used for CE rated triple density foam armor. The foam stuff just doesn't look substantial enough for its intended purpose.
Hmm. What did you replace it with (source, description, cost, photos...)? :huh:
I replaced it with triple density foam armor bought from here: Jackets4Bikes.com, It is considerably more substantial than the foam (that comes in the mesh gear at least) and not much more discomfort. Good price for the package deal too.