Wiring question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BwanaDik

Reaction score
I've studied numerous threads about the Soltek install. I'm going with this switch method but 1FJR's comment

"When I got the lights, I did not want to use the giant switch that came with them. I decided to find a switch to fit that opening on the housing on the left handlebar. I found a switch from DIGI-Key (CH755-ND) that was only slightly larger than the opening. So with some carefull file work I was able to make the switch fit. My uncle the family electronic genius suggested that I install a resistor (1K 0hm rated at 1/2 watt) between tabs #85 and #86 on the relay to help keep the switch from burning out. I just sodered it in place. "

has me a little concerned. He's running Hella 550's, I don't know what the amp draw is. The Soltek has 10 amps starting then 3 amps running (I'm assuming that's EACH, for a total of 20 amps starting via my Fuzeblock). I'm infering from his comment that he is using a relay to power his 550's and that the switch simply triggers the relay.

So....

Do the Soltek's need a relay, switched by the small switch in the flash-to-pass button? Or can they go straight from the Fuzeblock, thru the switch, to the lights?

What is he talking about with the resistor (Alan?)? Do I need to install one? I'm assuming this is across the terminals of the relay, not the terminals of the switch?

I would use a relay to keep the current off the small contacts in the switch (think ignition recall).

Now the resister has me wondering, I know when you remove the power from a coil the magnetic field collapses inducing a large voltage spike that can eventually burn out your contacts in the switch.

In the industrial applications that i am familiar with we use small capacitors to shunt that spike to ground.

Double check with your uncle on that one, a capacitor will pass a pulse but not constant DC power.

Thats my 2 cents and that's about all it's worth

Are the pin#s you listed the contacts for the coil in the relay?

Unfortunately not my uncle. 1FJR's! I quoted him from another thread (hit the underlined "this" in the original post)

Yes, from Constantmesh on another thread

Relay

"My five terminal 12V 30A relay has the following terminals:

85 -- one side of coil

86 -- other side of coil

87 -- one side of normally open contact

87 -- one side of normally open contact

The two 87's are connected/bussed together inside the relay

30 -- other side of normally open contact"

So apparently he put the resistor across the coil. Possibly this should have been a capacitor (same function as ignition condensor? Remember those? :D )

Possibly this should have been a capacitor (same function as ignition condensor? Remember those? :D )
Yes I do, same thing. and in the applications I was referring to we are using large control relays, motorstarters, etc. big coils.

I think maybe BMW has a computer that is sensitive to the spike but I never heard of anyone being overly concerned on a FJR. I have a single hella de micro that uses a relay in the supplied harness (much less draw than a pair of solteks). I don't think a relay would ever be a bad thing.