Wish I had Shure earbuds with a microphone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDanDC

Reaction score
I think the ultimate for me would be Shure noise canceling earbuds with a microphone wired into the helmet. Want to listen to the XM as well as answer the blue tooth phone from the Garmin Zumo.

Anyone out there tried this before? I am in search of the "Cats Ass helmet rig".

Check out the Microphone:

https://store.shure.com/store/shure/Display...uctID.105498400

Check out the earbuds:

https://store.shure.com/store/shure/Display...uctID.105434000

Shure makes the best quality earbuds that I've seen so far.

Just dont know how to rig up a quick-release or break away feature in case I get launched from the blue horse. Any Ideas out there? :unsure:

Those phones look to be too large to fit comfortably under a helmet - and I'm guessing that you've never tried the Westone stage monitors. They blow Shure out of the ballpark. I use the Westone UM-2 because of that.

And forget the microphone - their idea of 'noisy environments' is a restaurant, not a motorcycle runnning 80 mph.

Want to use buds and a mic? Buy an intercom, such as the Autocom, then install their 'ear bud adapter' and use those phones.

You can link to your cell using a cable or via Bluetooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the ideas. I will check that out too. Are the earbuds fairly comfortable with the available room in the helmet?

Those phones look to be too large to fit comfortably under a helmet
They will be - I have a similar set and, while you can jam them in there, it's not comforatable for any length of time.

and I'm guessing that you've never tried the Westone stage monitors. They blow Shure out of the ballpark. I use the Westone UM-2 because of that.
I use and like Etymotics. Amazing how deep they go in to your ear canal, fit perfectly well with a helmet and are *not* "noise cancelling" but "noise attenuating". I don't want noise cancelled (I still want to hear the "environmental" sounds around me) i just want it quieter.

I use the S-Plug in ear speakers from cycle gadgets Clicky They fit almost completely in your ear and will fit in ANY helmet. I also cut the speakers out of my helmet and wired a 3/4 inch plug into the headset so that I can use these instead of the speakers. They work great, and I have the Mic from the headset which also works very well. Right now, I'm just running the MIT-30 intercom from IMC, but everything works very well, music, intercom, cell-phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an adapter which allows me to use earbuds with the Autocom.

Check the Autocom catalog.

Chris

I was wondering about using a microphone along with my ZUMO for cell phone calls. I already use a set of the ER6i ear buds, and love them. I tried using the microphone from an old Chatter Box set up I had, but that didn't work.

Has anyone found a way to use the microphone jack on the side of the ZUMO mount?