Wood Rack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck

Reaction score
100_1132.JPG

100_1131.JPG

100_1135.JPG

needed a rack to carry laptop to and from work.

base is made from scrap red oak, leftover from another project

handles are teak, purchased from boat supply store

coated w/ tung oil

Nice looking rack. The problem with wood is that it requires a lot of maintenance. The wood expands and contracts with changes in humidity so you have make sure your hardware is tight more often than with metal.

You don't need to weld to make a metal one. I made a rack for my '76 RE5 out of angle iron from an old bed frame and bolted it together. I used super glue on the threads and they never came loose. Today I'd just use loctite.

Another fine example of "farming 101". Nice rack, though.....gives it a fresh outdoorsy look.

That's a beautiful job Chuck! Hmmmmm, wooden dash to fit around the speedo and tach - inserts on the fairings.....

Certainly looks like you know what you're doing and I love a Tung oil finish look....did you consider Spar Varnish to protect against UV and rain? Would hate to see a beautiful piece of work like that turn gray, twisted, and rot!

Nice work, very handsome rack!

You are going to have TWN wanting to use it to serve canapés and Odot is out looking to see if you cut down his parking tree. You may be the first FJR owner to have their bike in for service due to termites :lol:

The only other time I said outloud that a man had a nice rack was while watching "The Biggest Loser" the other night.

Nice rack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work, very handsome rack!
You are going to have TWN wanting to use it to serve canapés and Odot is out looking to see if you cut down his parking tree. You may be the first FJR owner to have their bike in for service due to termites :lol:
Yer damn skippy! Oh, termites hate teak, but they'll scarf down that oak! ;)

imagine how nice that feej will look after they get it out of the crate.