WSBK Qatar thread **SPOILERS**

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeezer

Squirrelly Geezer
Reaction score
Just wanted to get out front with a spoiler headline since this will definitely be a TiVo deal for me. ;) May not watch the races until Tuesday given work/family schedules.

But quals look great! The two Troys out front in both sessions with Corser holding point both times. Haga 4th both times. And Neukirchner really surprised me grabbing 3rd spot in Q2 on the Suzuki -- he's Kagayama's new teammate, right? Good for him.

With no U.S. rider to root for, I'll be pulling for the Yammie guys just to have someone to cheer on. Corser's 3rd championship or Haga's 1st would both be great stories.

Anybody else have a favorite this year?

Troy Corser on Superpole. Xaus .6 sec behind and Maxi Pad another .1 behind Xaus.

I've always been a Haga fan.

Don't know why it is, but, since they went to the spec tire rule, I just haven't been able to get back into watching WSK even though I know there is some great racing. I'll watch the first few races, but, once AMA and MotoGP starts up, I'll lose interest in WSK.

What channels do you guys get motorcycle racing on? I keep looking and we never have anything but motocross....

What channels do you guys get motorcycle racing on? I keep looking and we never have anything but motocross....
Speed TV carries WSBK, MotoGP, and AMA Superbike. You can also buy streaming feeds of MotoGP on-line through their official website, and I think WSBK too, though I've never done either so I can't comment on the quality or the price.

And back to Randy's comment, I thought the spec tire thing was pretty cheesy and thought I'd lose interest. Instead, it's worked out really well. In fact, it's worked out pretty well in every cage racing series I've seen make that switch too. I actually enjoy WSBK the most out of these three series.

But I know, you gotta draw the line somewhere. Every hour watching racing is an hour I'm not on my own bike. I think I'll skip the car racing this year.

In the absence of feejer..........my personal opinion is that it was an absolutely brilliant opening race to the season. As we Brits also do not have a rider in WSBK this year my support goes to the Aussies :clapping: :clapping: and also to Greg Lavilla :clapping: :clapping: who I supported in the British Superbikes before he moved on. Well worth watching and just waiting for the second race to start. Won't give any details, don't want to spoil it for any of you who may want to watch. :)

Was talking to Graham and I think we might have a trivia question in the making - when was the last time the WSBK championship was held without representation from the US or UK?

HOLY SHIT!!! What a first race. Max Biaggi (who I haven't cared for since his MotoGP days) gets passed on the last lap by Troy Bayliss. SWEET. I look for Carlos Checa to make some noise... he finished 6th on a new bike with no testing. And... WTF was Haga thinking when Max cut him off, and Haga takes his hand off the grip and high sides? Ducati's 1 and 2. Corsa did okay in the second race, but still no #1 for Yami... shit.

I thought both races were great! but I have to say Haga's fuckup was a surprize. Is it possible that something happened and his had was actually yanked off? I mean i saw what you all saw.

awesome race. WTF got up Haga's 6? Taking your hand off mid turn after swapping rubber? For his sake I hope he wont do it again.

SBK may have the closest racing again this year, Nori really stepped on his Johnson in the first race.

Looks like Ducati is going to be the bike to beat but it was great to see Nieto get his first win. on a Suziki. GO YAMAHA!

It was great to see racing on TV again. Now I can watch motorcycle in addition to reading about them, and MAYBE one of these days I will actually be able to get back out on the FJR.

The Yamaha's seams to start the races out strong, but faded over time. Maybe just a tire issue they need to work out, though I have to believe that Haga's wrist was bothering him in the 2nd race after his high-side.

Great way to start the season.

Anyone else notice how fast the Suzuki is in a straight line, wow!

I really wish I could get excited about WSBK, but, as hard as I try, I just can't. Yes - I watched both races. Yes - it's great to see the season get underway. Yes - it was fun to watch Bayliss come back from near doom to put Max in his place. At the end of the day, I just consider WSBK to be the appetizer before the AMA and MotoGP seasons get underway.

I just consider WSBK to be the appetizer before the AMA and MotoGP seasons get underway.

I can't remember the last time 4 or 5 bikes were racing for the win in AMA,

or in GP.

I just consider WSBK to be the appetizer before the AMA and MotoGP seasons get underway.

or in GP.
I kinda feel the same way, not about GP but about AMA. I mean, the same two riders always in contention and everyone else way, way, waaaaaaaaaay back? ZZZZZZzzzzz...... :sleepysmileyanim:

'Course, Stoner had that kinda year on MotoGP.

But what's important is, it's racing season again! :yahoo: And BTW just how many of you watch it with your SO? Fang never misses a MotoGP, and she really (genuinely) enjoys it now that she's in her third season of watching and knows all the riders and their stories. You shoulda seen the two of us spontaneously leap up and scream at the top of our lungs when Dani took out Nicky. Scared the hell outta the cats. (She only watches GP though, not AMA or WSBK.)

Jb

P.S. Oh, and by the way, how in the HELL does anyone ever tell the two Troy's apart in WSBK? :blink: Are they really the same person, or maybe twins? After one comes up and talks and then the other follows, I always say, "Hey! Wait a minute! That guy just spoke. That's the same guy!"

Last edited by a moderator:

or in GP.
I kinda feel the same way, not about GP but about AMA. I mean, the same two riders always in contention and everyone else way, way, waaaaaaaaaay back? ZZZZZZzzzzz...... :sleepysmileyanim:
I don't remember ever saying anything about Superbike.

Finally watched 'em. Great races! Midway through the second race I was having a flash of, "Uh-oh. They screwed the pooch on the rules and we're in for another Ducati Cup." But really lots of manufacturers were in there.

Bayliss may be as good as anyone on the planet, as his last race in MotoGP suggested. I can't believe how far the Sterilgarda team has come. Yeah, the Suzuki is wicked fast. If Yammie figures out how not to fade, Corser and Haga should be steady competitors.

That whole Haga bit -- I think he's still miffed that Biaggi never apologized for bumping him off last year. You don't expect that stuff from a guy with that much experience. I thought he looked a little embarrassed sitting in the garage with the ice pack on his wrist.

Oh man, I'm glad racing season is back.

Randy -- what was the answer to the trivia question?

or in GP.

'Course, Stoner had that kinda year on MotoGP.

But what's important is, it's racing season again! :yahoo: And BTW just how many of you watch it with your SO? Fang never misses a MotoGP, and she really (genuinely) enjoys it now that she's in her third season of watching and knows all the riders and their stories. You shoulda seen the two of us spontaneously leap up and scream at the top of our lungs when Dani took out Nicky. Scared the hell outta the cats. (She only watches GP though, not AMA or WSBK.)

Jb

P.S. Oh, and by the way, how in the HELL does anyone ever tell the two Troy's apart in WSBK? :blink: Are they really the same person, or maybe twins? After one comes up and talks and then the other follows, I always say, "Hey! Wait a minute! That guy just spoke. That's the same guy!"

May be a woman thing, but Troy Bayliss has the most incredible piercing blue eyes!!!! :rolleyes: :D That's how I tell them apart!!