WTB HIVIZ MIL SPEC vest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frushlorton

Reaction score
Looking for a mil spec vest to meet military requirements when riding on base. It needs to be foldable to fit in my small Corbin trunk. I need an XL/2XL to fit over jacket. Can pay w/ paypal.

Here is a start for you.
Clicky
Thanks,

Been there, done that. I am a long time military rider and have bought and sold several vests. The last one due to a move to Uganda. I did not see much need for a vest in "The Pearl of Africa" (if it weren't for the malaria, ebola and Edi Amin). Little did I know I would be paying double for the motorcycle taxi's just so I could drive.

I am now back in the DC area and hope to help someone clean out the closet and save a few dollars in the process.

I realize you're just looking to pick up a used one from somebody, but I still think this is pretty neat. I saw one at the Honda shop a few months back and thought it was an interesting idea.

I rode onto a base once and got away with wearing my bumblebee-yellow Fieldsheer jacket, but I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't try to make a career out of it. I completely forgot about the reflective vest rules...

What base are you riding on?

Down here in Norfolk a reflective outer garment is only required at night. Even during daylight hours, brightly colored upper outer garments are only "recommended" anymore.

I keep an old road-guard vest under my seat in case a rent-a-cop at the gate wants to argue about what constitutes a reflective outer garment at night, but I haven't had to pull it out in over a year.

What base are you riding on?
Down here in Norfolk a reflective outer garment is only required at night. Even during daylight hours, brightly colored upper outer garments are only "recommended" anymore.

I keep an old road-guard vest under my seat in case a rent-a-cop at the gate wants to argue about what constitutes a reflective outer garment at night, but I haven't had to pull it out in over a year.
Different service different requirements. Actually, even in the Navy, if you're stationed in certain regions it can also be a requirement. Luckily PACNORWEST isn't one of them.

Unfortunately guys, the reflective vest is part of the PPT and should be worn at all times when riding.... A real drag. You can get away with having reflective material sewn into your existing jacket (must equal the stips on the milspec stuff), or getting a new jacket with brigiht colors and reflective material. Is a real drag. Fortunately, the only modifications I have had to make due to these new regs is the reflective gear.

It's all about line of duty. If you are hit and the line of duty investigation shows you failed to: wear proper PPE, you could foot the bill for your medical care, face UCMJ, and at worst, the GOVT could take the cost to treat and bury you off the top of your SGLI. Its anal and dumb but...... thats what being a GI is all about. If you dont like it man up till your obligation is over then punch your ticket and ride on!

Unfortunately guys, the reflective vest is part of the PPT and should be worn at all times when riding.... A real drag. You can get away with having reflective material sewn into your existing jacket (must equal the stips on the milspec stuff), or getting a new jacket with brigiht colors and reflective material. Is a real drag. Fortunately, the only modifications I have had to make due to these new regs is the reflective gear.
It's all about line of duty. If you are hit and the line of duty investigation shows you failed to: wear proper PPE, you could foot the bill for your medical care, face UCMJ, and at worst, the GOVT could take the cost to treat and bury you off the top of your SGLI. Its anal and dumb but...... thats what being a GI is all about. If you dont like it man up till your obligation is over then punch your ticket and ride on!

I'm not sure if you were trying to make a blanket statement about all services but, in case you were, I feel the need to correct you slightly. The reflective vest is not required by the Navy. It can be required by different regions as they have the authority to increase safety requirements based on the different environments that their region may present.

The Navy's motorcycle safety instruction that came out March 2007 with a revision in June IIRC states that brightly colored outergarments are "recommended" during the day and reflective material is required at night. There is no statement as to how much reflective material is required, just that you have it. Leave it to the Navy to leave some ambiguity to their instruction.

But, they have been talking about making "Line Of Duty" determinations if PPE and training criteria are not met. Which would get into the UCMJ, medical benefits and SGLI.

Frushlorton
The answer to your needs is $15 away (plus shipping): Click for enlightenment

But click it quick...
Thanks that would fit the ticket except for the Army logos. Being Air Force, I can read and only say HUA (HOOAH!) occasionally. That price would be perfect.
Of course you can read. Sitting in those chairs so much, what else are you going to do? :yahoo:
We have a lot to do Click for recruitment!. I have been Joint Service for more than ten years.

I'm not sure if you were trying to make a blanket statement about all services but, in case you were, I feel the need to correct you slightly. The reflective vest is not required by the Navy. It can be required by different regions as they have the authority to increase safety requirements based on the different environments that their region may present.
The Navy's motorcycle safety instruction that came out March 2007 with a revision in June IIRC states that brightly colored outergarments are "recommended" during the day and reflective material is required at night. There is no statement as to how much reflective material is required, just that you have it. Leave it to the Navy to leave some ambiguity to their instruction.

But, they have been talking about making "Line Of Duty" determinations if PPE and training criteria are not met. Which would get into the UCMJ, medical benefits and SGLI.
Was wondering where the "minimum requirement" was coming from. I know the Navy instruction didn't mention it. I do like this version of the instruction more than the last.

One of my young riders went down last month. Had only been riding for about two months and decided to go ride part of Skyline Drive over the weekend by himself. I was underway riding another ship and had to call the CofC back on the beach to answer training questions concerning the Sailor. Fortunately he had completed the BRC course and was scheduled to complete the MSRC two weeks after his crash.

Frushlorton
The answer to your needs is $15 away (plus shipping): Click for enlightenment

But click it quick...
Thanks that would fit the ticket except for the Army logos. Being Air Force, I can read and only say HUA (HOOAH!) occasionally. That price would be perfect.
Of course you can read. Sitting in those chairs so much, what else are you going to do? :yahoo:
We have a lot to do Click for recruitment!. I have been Joint Service for more than ten years.
Oh yeah, you've got to make sure that the Decepticons don't destroy the earth and keep the Autobots happy as well. :clapping:

Rick_W: Not that it helps the guy out any with the crash but at least he was doing what he was supposed to regarding training.

Last edited by a moderator: