X-Mas for me in April

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ynotride

Reaction score
Just got my new Cycle hill changer today and got it all set up. :yahoo: Also have a new set of PR2’s just waiting to be spooned. I will probably be swapping the tires out sometime next week.

Anyone have any handy hints for me before I attempt my first change? I’ve already watched all the No Mar videos so I have a good idea on the process.

Anyone in Socal or in the neighborhood is welcome to come over and use the changer. Just shoot me a PM or something.

The changer mounted to my truck with the hitch mount

easter10070.jpg

easter10075.jpg

The Balancer and other goodies

easter10068.jpg

easter10076.jpg

Unfortunately my truck is lifted and doesn’t fit in the garage

easter10069.jpg

Got my Cycle Hill about 12 days ago and mounted up some take off PR2s the weekend of March 27. Easier than my old set-up (14" steel automobile wheel padded with rubber washing machine hose and bolted down with 5/8" threaded rod up through the middle) for getting the tires off.

Not easier for mounting. I ended up resorting to my trusty spoons and nylon rim protectors to get the second bead over the rim for front and back. But for that kind of spooning, I have more leverage and a more securely fixed wheel with my old set-up. With the old set-up, I'm closer to the ground, on top of them where I can use my feet, knees and weight, and the tire/wheel is more firmly held in place by the 5/8" threaded rod up through bearings and the wheel is anchored down with wood bock, washers and nut on that rod.

I'm hoping to get better with the Cycle Hill bar tool for mounting, esp. since my next 2 sets of tires will include the much stiffer PR2 "B" spec rears. After this last experience, I'm thinking I'll mount those rears on the old set up, and while I know that's not gonna be a picnic, I'm afraid it might be impossible on the Cycle Hill.

Anyone got any helpful thoughts, I'm all eyes/ears.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a friends CH changer setup (just like the one pictured here) to mount some Storms a while back. Nice setup and it worked like a champ but I would say that a rear Storm is a two person job for sure. Also, the smallest diameter center rod that comes with the kit will BEND if you try to mount a tire as stiff as a Storm. AMHIK :p

I used a buddy's..... I wasn't a fan of adjusting 3 wheel clamps, so just set it the first time and use only one to release and reclamp. Mark the spots for 17" wheels, 18" etc. so you know where you're at when centering the vertical rod.

Not a fan of their mounting bar either, but I never gave it a fair trial. I have the one from Dave, and it's way better IMHO (link at end).

The demount tip can be broken easily because they only put a pin/screw in one side. Best to fix that and put a spring pin or set screw so it goes through both walls of the tube. Also, brush on a little lube on the rim before you remove the tire and don't force anything too hard or get in too big a hurry. Can be used as is, but you may want to have a spare tip on hand if you get rough.

Go here for more.... https://www.no-scufftiretool.com/

Oh yes, buy yourself some (3) cheap 12" woodworkers clamps to squeeze the tire so it stays in the deepest part of the rim. Big C clamps or wooden wedges if you have nothing else. And a ratchet strap to wrap around a spoke to keep the wheel from turning.

A little practice with a tire or two and you'll be fine. After you take the first old one off, put it back on, and you'll get it. New tires are stiffer.

Just got my new Cycle hill changer today and got it all set up. :yahoo: Also have a new set of PR2’s just waiting to be spooned. I will probably be swapping the tires out sometime next week.
Anyone have any handy hints for me before I attempt my first change? I’ve already watched all the No Mar videos so I have a good idea on the process.

Anyone in Socal or in the neighborhood is welcome to come over and use the changer. Just shoot me a PM or something.

The changer mounted to my truck with the hitch mount

Unfortunately my truck is lifted and doesn’t fit in the garage
What does your wife think about the new washing machine farkle? lol :clapping:

I used a buddy's..... I wasn't a fan of adjusting 3 wheel clamps, so just set it the first time and use only one to release and reclamp. Mark the spots for 17" wheels, 18" etc. so you know where you're at when centering the vertical rod.
Not a fan of their mounting bar either, but I never gave it a fair trial. I have the one from Dave, and it's way better IMHO (link at end).

The demount tip can be broken easily because they only put a pin/screw in one side. Best to fix that and put a spring pin or set screw so it goes through both walls of the tube. Also, brush on a little lube on the rim before you remove the tire and don't force anything too hard or get in too big a hurry. Can be used as is, but you may want to have a spare tip on hand if you get rough.

Go here for more.... https://www.no-scufftiretool.com/

Oh yes, buy yourself some (3) cheap 12" woodworkers clamps to squeeze the tire so it stays in the deepest part of the rim. Big C clamps or wooden wedges if you have nothing else. And a ratchet strap to wrap around a spoke to keep the wheel from turning.

A little practice with a tire or two and you'll be fine. After you take the first old one off, put it back on, and you'll get it. New tires are stiffer.
Thanks for the tips. I have been googling all day and found some of the very same feedback you mentioned above. I have 11,000 miles on my current set of PR2's and just hit the wear bars so I'm thinking one or two more rides this week and I will be ready to try my first tire change.

Between the 2 street bikes and 3 dirt bikes I have this thing should pay for itself pretty quick :D

I have the exact same set-up.

Technique is important, you'll learn the best way.

It helps to have another person to keep the bead in the drop center of the rim oposite of where you are working, especially on the rear.

The smallest rod that they send is bogus, get a 3/4" bar which is a bit under 20mm.

Lube, lube, lube.

I use a ratchet strap around a spoke to keep the wheel from turning.

I had to weld a re-enforcement to keep the bottom plate from bending when using the bead breaker while the changer is not bolted to the floor.

So far I have changed 3 tires, 2 fronts and one heck of a rear. The rear was a wrestling match, but I was by myself.

Blocks of wood between the rim and the bead can help keep the bead down in the drop center.

The yellow knuckle looking deal and the rim clamps help while mounting the tire.

I have a similar set up, different type but same principle. I find the "Mojolever" makes all the difference. The tire rolls on and off the rim with hardly any effort at all and no metal touches the rim.

Tire lube is essential, both on removal and installation.

A homemade tire balancer is all that anyone needs. A 4 x 4 with ball bearings mounted on the edge and use the axle to let it free roll. It is surprisingly accurate and I have never had any vibration at any speed. I'm getting better each time I change the tires.

Last week I did the full swap in just under 2 hours. That includes set up, removing both wheels, balancing, reinstalling etc and even time to drink 1 beer.

Very cool. I may need to use that soon too.

Let us know when you're doing your first change, we'll all come over for moral support. :p

Very cool. I may need to use that soon too.
Let us know whne you're doing your first change, we'll all come over for moral support. :p
If you do want to change your tires here you can always have your tires shipped to my house so you dont have to lug them on the bike. I can even keep the old tires because my FIL uses them in Mexico to rebuild the bluff in front of the beach house. He must have a thousand tires buried in that bluff by now and is always looking for more :lol:

I have a similar set up, different type but same principle. I find the "Mojolever" makes all the difference. The tire rolls on and off the rim with hardly any effort at all and no metal touches the rim.
All right. Damn it! You guys have ALMOST convinced me to spend even more money! I may have to order a Mojolever before attempting to mount the B spec PR2 rear this summer. There's a linked comparison on the Mojolever page linked above which seems to argue that the NoMar bar (what came with the CH) works better than the Mojolever, though. I guess I need to do more research into solutions, or see one in action in person. :unsure:

And I'm gonna have another person there to help, just in case. To date, I've been a one man operation -- maybe 10 sets now, all but one on my homemade tire station with spoons.

The same as others have recommended, I use 2 clamps on the opposite side of tire to keep beads in the well. I think I may upgrade that by buying bar clamps with a shorter bar than the ones I have -- thinking I need every advantage on those stiff B specs (and I have a weakness for buying tools). I also like the idea of using a strap around a wheel "spoke" and one of the changer's three wheel support arms to hold the wheel from turning. I already have such a strap for assisting in seating the bead with air, but maybe I'll rig something shorter and more specific to that task. Most of all, what I need to work is the Mojolever. If that does what you guys say, that is the answer. LUBE??? Shi-ite! I have lots and lots of that on hand and am not bashful with it.

Another suggestion I noted from this discussion is about the diameter of that skinny bar that comes with the CH changer. If a 3/4" bar is what will fit through the bearings, I think I'll pick that up, as well.

Thanks to everyone contributing on this thread! My aim was to reduce the time it takes to mount tires, and some of these suggestions may take the last of the pain out of the process.

We’ll I got impatient and decided to go ahead and change out the front tire today. I’m happy to report that everything went really smooth. Thanks to all for the tips as it really helped give me a good idea on what to do.

The entire process took about an hour and that included removing and replacing the wheel back on the bike. Demounting and mounting was a lot easier then I was expecting, I did leave the tire outside in the sun for a few hours to soften up so maybe that helped.

I also had my laptop next to me with the Nomar video running and I just followed along step by step and paused it at each point. That really helped. Hopefully the rear tire goes on just as easy. I still have a few more miles left in the rear tire so that can wait.

I did end up mounting the changer to my wife’s explorer instead of my truck so I could work in the garage without the neighborhood kids bugging me. I am very happy I decided to get the changer and not pay the stealer 40 bucks a piece. In my opinion it is worth every penny.

Demounted in less then 5 minutes

tires001.jpg

Mounted in less then 5 minutes

tires002.jpg

Balancing took the longest but got the hang of it eventually

tires005.jpg

All back together and ready for some twisties

tires006.jpg

Good job Dan! :yahoo:
Let me know how the rear goes, as many have said that one is a bugar.
Got the rear on today. Though it took a little more muscle to get it on it wasn’t bad at all. It was pretty warm today and I had the tire in the sun for a few hours before I began, by the time I was ready the tire was super soft which I think helps alot.

The only real issue I had was the tire sliding around the rim while trying to get that last 15% over the lip . I just needed to use my knee and free hand to keep it from spinning. It would probably be a little easier with an extra hand but not absolutely necessary. Took me about an hour from tire removal to new tire installed with most of that time balancing.

Overall I am very happy with the changer and like knowing I can it myself. I already had my neighbor come over to check it out and he is going to be ordering a tire for his ninja tomorrow. Last time the dealer changed his tires they scratched his black rims up pretty bad so he is hoping we can do it without scratching it up more. The only small scratches I got was when putting the front brake calipers back on those things are a bitch to get on without hitting the rim. Next time I will use some tape for protection.

Let me know when your ready I need more practice :rolleyes: