XM Radio Install for JMCB (alt 12V outet idea)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diablo456

Reaction score
Loving the JMCB intercom I put on the AE a week ago. Works great with the custom mount, no vibration and rock solid.

In my continuing quest to bring audio-goodness to the bike, I sprung for an XM radio that works perfectly with the FJR on my setup. The unit is the Skydock, and it turns my iphone into an XM receiver. Also - and this is undocumented in the Skydock manual - you can play your music library over the iphone in the dock as well. So, best of both worlds - my music and XM while also charging the iphone.

Now, the trick to this install was putting in a secondary 12V outlet on the left inner fairing. After very careful study, I found one spot where the outlet would go and not interfere with the windshield operation. The tolerance is pretty tight, and I measured many times before I cut the opening in the fairing for the aux outlet. Final result looks fantastic. I brought the XM antenna through the same cutout, and left the aux-in wire for the JMCB in the glove compartment.

XM antenna fits perfectly on the tail, as you see in the pics. I left all the extra wire bundled in the back, such that if I get a trunk I can relocate the antenna as needed.

Weather resistance isn't a huge issue for me. I'm in New Mexico, only a few days we worry about rain. Figure a plastic bag over the unit while parked if it becomes an issue. It's fairly protected under the lip of the dash.

Pics tell most of this story. With the flexibility in the Skydock mount, I used a small eyelet to stabilize the unit with a tiewrap. Really does look good in person, and works flawlessly. No vibration, and the unit is solid for touch-screen use.

Thought I'd document this here in case others were looking to do something similar.

Joe M.

FJRXM1.jpg

FJRXM2.jpg

FJRXM3.jpg

FJRXM4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice install. That unit is supported by the 12-volt outlet plug, right?

I use the XM into a GPS and enjoy the music, and can also put the iPhone into the Autocom music lead. I learned last summer the iPhone does not like hot direct sun. Be sure to shade it if you are traveling far in hot clear weather. I think one of the Glare Shield fabric shields we use on GPS units would work to keep it cooler and provide better visibility.

Honestly dude....50 posts of, "Nice," "Congrats," "+1," "Oh, look at me." Give me a fucking break. Either have something to add, or shut up. What's the matter, you realized you weren't in the running for the new toaster, so decided to up your post count? You sound like a troll. :angry:

You might want to see about moving the antenna up a bit so it's clear of the rack, grab rail etc. The XM antenna needs a good "view" of the sky, it's not like a normal radio antenna that can work even indoors. Bridge overpasses and even tree-cover can temorarily block you signal when your riding, you're not even supposed to paint the antenna, because that could also block the signal.

Having the antenna tucked down low on top of the tail might limit the "viewing-angle" of the sky.

On the otherhand, it might work perfectly.

Do NOT text and ride.

Damn Zilla, who pee'd in your Wheaties?
Seems to be OTR today.

Sorry for the outburst...When I got on this morning, there was a ton of unread threads. Nearly all of them were that tool posting up one work post-whore responses. It just kind of irritated me.

I'm better now. I got a hug. :)

Sorry for the outburst...When I got on this morning, there was a ton of unread threads. Nearly all of them were that tool posting up one work post-whore responses. It just kind of irritated me.

I'm better now. I got a hug. :)
Nice.. +1

:****:

You might want to see about moving the antenna up a bit so it's clear of the rack, grab rail etc. The XM antenna needs a good "view" of the sky, it's not like a normal radio antenna that can work even indoors. Bridge overpasses and even tree-cover can temorarily block you signal when your riding, you're not even supposed to paint the antenna, because that could also block the signal.

Having the antenna tucked down low on top of the tail might limit the "viewing-angle" of the sky.

Very, very good points. In a few days of use, haven't had any dropouts. Been working great, including down in the deep canyons in which I ride. None-the-less, great advice to follow whenever installing a new antenna.

Joking aside, I do like the install of the XM. Especially the antenna location. Very inconspicuous. I'll keep this in mind if I ever decide to go that route.

Very, very good points. In a few days of use, haven't had any dropouts. Been working great, including down in the deep canyons in which I ride. None-the-less, great advice to follow whenever installing a new antenna.
You may not see any issues until you get farther north. It is an issue up here in Washington. I have the XM30 antenna and it drops out under the trees and in the canyons.

I have the V46 with a cargo rack on top. What sort of CB antenna would fit that? I think the license plate mounted antenna that J&M sells would slap the top case going down the road. Any ideas?