Yahama Trunk Install heads-up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichDoyle

Reaction score
Installed mine yesterday. I did't carefully read the instructions on installing the lock and overlooked the detail that one needs a tamper-proof torx head (T10) to install the factory lock to the case. So I'm sitting there like some chimpanzee trying to figure out why none of my torx heads would go in. Then I looked really carefully. DOH! Fortunately, I actually have a set of these tools (overkill tool buy from years ago), so then it was easy.

So - a heads up to y'all. Since the whole point of having tamper-proof screws is it's rare for a given individual to have the requisite tool to remove them, It's unlikely that you'll have one handy if you go to assemble one yourself.

Did you use a dab of Locktite? And IMHO the hell with tamper-proof screws. I usually just break the post out of the center and use regular tools or simply replace them with normal screws. Let's be real: if a thief wants in your luggage the only tools he's got are a big screwdriver and a hammer. Ain't no tamper-proof nothin' gonna stop him from getting in.

I honestly don't understand the reasoning behind the tamper proof screws. Bags have to be open to access them anyway. I replaced 1 that fell out with a regular screw. Make sure to use loctite!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I used loctite. I dig about the lack of usefulness of tamper-resistant screws in this case. But not a problem for me once I discovered what they were.

The biggest problem I have with small tamer-proof screws is that my old, tired eyes can't see the little posts any more, so I generally fumble around and curse trying to find the right sized wrench.

Latest posts