Yamaha brand touring trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcpd807

Reaction score
I was looking at a Yamaha touring trunk for the FJR listed on Ebay. In the descripton, the seller listed that it is not recommended to be used while using saddlebags because it will overload the bike.

Has anyone heard of this before? If it overloaded the bike, then why would they even offer one?

I know that you want to keep the heavy stuff as low on the bike as possible and try to even out the weight loads on either side, but I don't fully understand this statement.

I was looking at a Yamaha touring trunk for the FJR listed on Ebay. In the descripton, the seller listed that it is not recommended to be used while using saddlebags because it will overload the bike.
Has anyone heard of this before? If it overloaded the bike, then why would they even offer one?

I know that you want to keep the heavy stuff as low on the bike as possible and try to even out the weight loads on either side, but I don't fully understand this statement.
It's a Yamaha disclaimer. It's also non-sense. Everyone that owns one uses the trunk with the side bags at some time.

But if you ask me (and I know that you didn't) you should look at the Givi color matched bags. Much better made and sturdier rack.

Seller is 100% correct on his statement. As Fred pointed out it is a liability thing. RTFM, it is mentioned there.

Personally I ride 99% of the time with side and top GIVI case and never had a problem, but I always ride at the speed limit officer :yahoo:

I'd bet that if you Googled this: Yamaha touring trunk site:fjrforum.com, you'd have found the answer and a lot more information.

A synopsis: There have been reports of instability at excess speeds w/o a passenger. :eek: If you chose to overload it (Yes, Virginia, people have stuffed 30-40 lbs. in a topcase!)....well, any lack of common sense is on you. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd bet that if you Googled this: Yamaha touring trunk site:fjrforum.com, you'd have found the answer and a lot more information.
A synopsis: There have been reports of instability at excess speeds w/o a passenger. :eek: If you chose to overload it (Yes, Virginia, people have stuffed 30-40 lbs. in a topcase!)....well, any lack of common sense is on you. :D
Where else am I going to fit the christmas turkey?

It just covers them in the event you do over load and wipe out.

Well just for fun here is how i over loaded mine when i first got it and wanted to go somewhere, I do have a givi top case now and have for a long time and continue to fine reasons to overload it.... It just kind of reminds me of a black gold show that I use to watch as a kid! :rolleyes:

Pic004.jpg

Pic007.jpg

Ohioride012.jpg

P1020371.jpg

FJRinNCtn.jpg

Just don't over pack the trunk and make sure your total allowable weight, (found in your owners manual), including rider(s) with gear included is within the bikes limits. The FJR really does have a good carry limit. And yes this is a very interesting subject, overloading. I also made the same mistake when I first started packing and I was riding solo. The art of light packing is a very good subject to study and you will be surprised at all the weight and items one can reduce and totally eleminate from your ride. There are some trick items available when traveling even camping out, cooking ect. without the cumbersome nightmare of trailering unless your into that. Pack smart. And yes I'm still learning. My biggest problem is I don't get to pack and travel enough! :angry: PM. <>< ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my .02 worth. I grew up a backpacker and it was necessity to pack light and compact. You would ba amazed as how comfy you can live on a little gear. Just like in the height of my backpacking times, I had a list of packworthy gear and when I moved up from my FZR to a sport tourer, I contunued that practice. It is also almost as fun to buy traveling gear as it tu buy farkes for the bike.

Take care and ride safe.

JEK