Yamaha comfprt seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YAM TOM

Reaction score
Looking at the accesories yamaha has for the FJR and they offer a gel comfort seat. Wondering if anyone has had one and if you liked it? Stock seat isnt that bad but might be interested in the better one if its any good. :) :)

Save for a Russell. The comfort seat is like sitting on a brick. You can always recover the stock seat and modify the foam a little. I think the stock cover material is most of the problem. There are plenty of seat mod posts to check out if the Russell is not in your price range.

I have been riding on the comfort Gel seat for a couple of seasons. It is wider than the stock and you will immediately notice that and it will take a couple of weeks to get use to. It is harder to start out with than stock but you will get more miles out of it. My stock was about 150 max. I could do 250 to 300 mile days on the comfort. I eventually added the Alaskan sheepskin and a 1/2 foam pad underneath and then could do 600 to 700 mile days. I have since moved on to the Russell mostly for the wifes comfort and only have about 300 miles on the Russell before I had to put my beast into Hibernation. I still have my comfort seats and may go back to them just for local riding and to work and only use the Russell's for long trips. My initial impression on the Russell is it took some sport out of my Feej and added more to the touring side of the equation. I would not spend the $385.00 on the comfort seat new. I picked mine up slightly used in excellent shape for half the price.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Yah, what they said. I thought about getting a stock seat for short "sporty" runs and swaping in/out the Russell. After getting the Russell I haven't looked back and wouldn't change it out at all! Best Farkle money spent hands down!

A contrarian view:

I can't speak for the Gen.'toosies'; but for Gen.'onezies', the Yamaha "Gel" Comfort Seat is great.

Initially, I found the stock seat wanting and ordered a Russell (with the, extra, 'over-load spring' -- for big-guys) -- after 60K mi. I, recently, acquired a set of Y.C. seats and put them on for a 2K mi. trip.

Suffice to say, I found the Y.C. seat to be great in areas of comfort and, all-around, useability. The Russell is on-the-shelf -- until further notice... :blink:

Looking at the accesories yamaha has for the FJR and they offer a gel comfort seat. Wondering if anyone has had one and if you liked it? Stock seat isnt that bad but might be interested in the better one if its any good. :) :)
I hated the stock seat. Something just isn't right...

I use the comfort seat for local back road rippin, and have a Russell for cross country touring.

See if you can find someone local that will let you try the gel seat. If you can't, I've loaned mine out before...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll throw in a vote for my Sargent seat. Not a touring seat like the Russel but much more comfortable than the stock seat. It's a couple inches wider than stock at the widest point and has a much better pocket that holds your HQ in place. Also, I was always moving forward on the stock seat. The Sargent is a little higher in the front so you don't slip forward. The seat foam is excellent too. If you want to keep things on the sportier side, you might consider the Sargent. I only bought the drivers seat because I don't ride 2-up. Saved me a few bucks and the stock passenger pillion still fits fine.

I'll throw in a vote for my Sargent seat. Not a touring seat like the Russel but much more comfortable than the stock seat. It's a couple inches wider than stock at the widest point and has a much better pocket that holds your HQ in place. Also, I was always moving forward on the stock seat. The Sargent is a little higher in the front so you don't slip forward. The seat foam is excellent too. If you want to keep things on the sportier side, you might consider the Sargent. I only bought the drivers seat because I don't ride 2-up. Saved me a few bucks and the stock passenger pillion still fits fine.
I'll second the Sargent. Had one on my ST1300 and was the best seat I've ever used. Fit and finish were far above the Corbin.

Just put one on the FJR and got color matched piping, can't wait for spring, got a trip planned to Yellowstone.

As a side note....depending on OP's inseam and how much "in town" riding he/she does, a Russel may not be a good fit.

If you want to buy the gel seat(s). Rider and pillion, I might know a guy. ;-) Used a couple of times. Went to Corbin. PM me if interested.

I'll second the Sargent. Had one on my ST1300 and was the best seat I've ever used. Fit and finish were far above the Corbin.

Just put one on the FJR and got color matched piping, can't wait for spring, got a trip planned to Yellowstone.

Hi mab864 and pcarnut, may i know which sargent seat are you guys refering to as I saw more than 1 model available.

Regards,