Yamaha FJR Touring Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRPittsburgh

Rally Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the yellow caution sticker from their OEM touring windshield? It's an unsightly looking thing. Since the the screen is supposedly coated with a scratch resistant chemical, I'm hesitant to use Goo Gone or a similar product. I searched for an answer on our forum and came up with nothing. I don't like reinventing the wheel if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a touring shield that I replaced with a Cee Bailey's and I still have the 3M "Adhesive, Wax & Mark Remover" that I used on the bike when I bought it to remove the other stickers. I'll see what happens and post back.

Has anyone removed the yellow caution sticker from their OEM touring windshield? It's an unsightly looking thing. Since the the screen is supposedly coated with a scratch resistant chemical, I'm hesitant to use Goo Gone or a similar product. I searched for an answer on our forum and came up with nothing. I don't like reinventing the wheel if I don't have to.
Thanks in advance,

Jeff in Pittsburgh

2008 Yamaha FJR AE

2005 Suzuki Burgman

2002 Honda Silver Wing
I got mine off by just picking at it carefully over about a 2 week period with my fingernails. I don't know what they use to secure that thing, but it's some pretty amazing stuff. It comes off in tiny little pieces about 1/10th of an inch square. I think towards the end I used a pretty sharp chisel very carefully to help peel it up without tearing. I was lucky...didn't scratch a thing and it's gone now. It IS an eyesore, isn't it.

Cheers,

W2

Yeah, that sticker is ON THERE. That stuff took the stickers off the tank in about 20 minutes, but I spent an hour and I only got the "CAUT" off and some of the border. The good thing is it doesn't seem to damage or fog the plastic at all, and there's no damage under the sticker. I used a credit card and my fingernails to scrape it off.

It seemed the biggest help was putting a soaked paper towel on it for 20 minutes. I made a lot of progress after that. I'd suggest trying an hour to let it soak through the sticker to the glue.

Edit: I also added some rubbing alcohol after I got no response to the straight stuff. I don't know how much that helped.

Leave it out in the hot sun. That should soften the adhesive enough to try to peel it.
No, it won't. It sat in the hot Florida sun the entire last summer while I was at work. I picked at it with a thumbnail a couple times. Nothing. The only thing that happened is the orange background is now a light yellow.

Leave it out in the hot sun. That should soften the adhesive enough to try to peel it.
No, it won't. It sat in the hot Florida sun the entire last summer while I was at work. I picked at it with a thumbnail a couple times. Nothing. The only thing that happened is the orange background is now a light yellow.
Try WD-40. I hear it works pretty good.

Hair dryer and Goo-Gone adhesive remover. You can get Goo-Gone in many grocery stores, Wal-Mart, Target, etc. Mine took me about 10 minutes of peeling the little pieces.

That sticker SUCKS!

I had some Goo-Gone but was afraid to try it, so I finally got it off one little piece at a time using good ol WD-40 and a hair dryer. Took a week for my thumbnail to recover though... I was hoping the WD would penetrate the surface of the sticker and soften the glue bond, but No Joy there. Seemed to only attack the very edge/windshield interface, a silly millimeter at a time.

The good news is: No damage to the WS, and that POS is history!

Don

Why the hey do they have to use barnacle glue on these things?! Fingernail and goo gone and patience. Guess I can't complain tho, I ordered a touring shield for my '06 for $97.00 and the one they sent has the hard coating..