Yamaha high windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YAM TOM

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has the optional high windshield on your F.J.R.. With stock windshield all the way up i still get a lot wind and its noisey. Optional windshield is 4 in taller wondering if thats enough.

Wondering if anyone has the optional high windshield on your F.J.R.. With stock windshield all the way up i still get a lot wind and its noisey. Optional windshield is 4 in taller wondering if thats enough.
___________________________________________________________________________________

On my Gen I (2004) , I run the Yamaha tall (touring) windshield just during winter. I love it, works great... During the summer, I run a shorter '03 windshield for more air.. I do have 1" risers.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Yamaha Tall on my 08. I am 6'1" with stubby legs, with the windshield fully extended (up) the wind hits the top one or two inches of my helmet. Usually, I only extend it for long trips or bad weather. Basically, it does a good job for me and I like it. If I wanted to get the wind completely off me, I would take the car. Hope this helps.

I'm not quite 6' and am using bar risers so I sit upright more so than with the stock clamp. With the Yamaha tall windshield fully extended, I get a lot of noise/wind on the top of my helmet.

I think a lot of folks with the Cee Bailey flip will tell you that's the way to get pretty close to real quiet, if that's what you're after.

I'm 5'10" and I have the tall Touring screen on my 03. I also use Skyway's tuning blocks.

Its a trade-off for me... I get more airflow with the stock screen but sometimes the buffeting is really bad and the wind noise is a little worse. The tall screen is smoother by a large amount but less airflow too. I haven't traded my screen out since maybe the 4th-5th time I went to the taller one because I like the smooth air. FWIW, it was a non-factor but somewhat annoying that when stood up the tall screen is right in my line of sight when looking down the road. I either crane my neck to see over, or hunch down to look through which sucks for bad rain. I usually just roll it back down just a little and look over

The big difference is, and the main reason I keep my tall screen on is the pillion. I changed it out one day expecting cooler/wetter weather and within 10 minutes my wife commented on how much quieter it was in terms of noise and wind buffet.

Overall I like the tall screen over the stocker. More than once I've considered cutting down the stock screen to like 4" under and see what that does. it's not like I'm using it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have the yama touring screen it is ok fairly quiet. I had it on for my arkansas trip then off at home now back on. Its not perfect but i will probably use it in the winter probably not in the summer. I'm 5'6" with short 28" inseam

I'm 6'4" and have the Yamaha touring windshield on my '08, I usually only raise it about 4" for most riding. If its hot, and it usually is around here, I keep it down unless I hit rain.

As far as noise, its always loud. But with my ear-buds in and my music playing, its fine. If I raise it all the way up during rain, I still get hit right in the face. But, being I get very little rain where I live, I prefer the air flow over any type of restriction. If I lived where it was cold much of the time, I would probably buy the Cee Bailey because of the protection it offers over either of the Yamaha shields, although I do not care for the physical appearance of the overly large wind shield, but under the correct circumstances, size does matter.