Yamaha OEM Backrest Installation--Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dasadab

Reaction score
Hi,

I just received the OEM TOPCASE for my '09 along with the OEM Backrest. The backrest pad requires drilling some holes--no big deal. But the backrest itself's angle is off. Its not about 90 degrees so the if the lay the back portion flat the upper padded "tongue" sits up about 1-2 inches. I am relucant to bend or force backrest to bend closer down to about 90 degrees. The model number on the packing list checks out, but I wonder if the backrest itself is the wrong part. Maybe they sent me a rest for a Gen I--not that I know there is a difference. Anybody have a similar installation issue. I am reluctant to bend the thing so much. Thanks. Dean

It's scary, but you do have to really bend the backrest to get the other half in.

It's a huge PIA to get all those screws in. I received a top case and backrest for Christmas. As I was trying to get those screws to bite and hold the pad down, all I could think about was how a mistake would cost me a hundred bucks to correct . . . and then I couldn't get the last screw to hold. I fiddled with it until I feared I'd stripped the nut. Decided to let the dealer have a go at it, with a limit on the time and presto, they were able to get it, and for $26 it was well worth it to me.

So take your time, don't worry about bending the pad, and you should be fine. It helps if you cuss while you're working on it; my kids thought that was the most enjoyable part of the whole thing.

Oh, and I had the kids and my wife compare comfort from the other backrest and this - and they didn't really notice a significant difference.