Yamaha Special tools?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
Does anyone know off hand if you can buy the special tools from Yamaha? I can almost promise you no dealer around here would sell them to me, but UMotors might.

I've sent in an email but will call them tomorrow.

I'm thinking about buying:

Coupling Gear Middle shaft tool 90890-01229

Gear Holder YM-01229

Bearing Retainer Wrench 90890-04050

Minion Bearing retainer & remover YM-04050

For servicing the rear end properly as opposed to using make shift tools.

If they are reasonable I'll buy them and put them in the un-official loaner program.

On the other hand if anyone already has these tools, let me know I'd like to borrow them and will pay for round trip shipping.

-MD

Matt,

After reading your leakage prob. I would run the Void as is with a bottle of oil in my bag. A check and top off would not ad more than a minute or 2 at a gas stop. I would feel confident in running the bike as is.

If you dig into it an replace the seals prior to lift-off you have not been able to test to make sure everything was put in its proper place. With the Void on Fri. you are prob already in a rush to get preped and (rushed)"rear" surgery is not good before a LD run. you have a known quantity as is. do the run then let Yama fix it when you get back. You have the YES, yes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, have YES, but don't really have a dealer I trust :( I bought yes more for catostrophic failures (ie ticking)

Besides with the right tools this should be easy. Some have done it w/o the right tools. :D

Right now I don't think it's possible to get it done before the rally, and I'm leaning towards riding it as is with some extra lube on hand.

This should be a straight forward repair, so as much as I hate taking my FJR to the dealer, I wouldn't worry about this repair too much. Still, it is always better to do on your own. Since I didn't have the tools, off to the dealer mine went, and all is now good. I am guessing the tools would be pretty pricey, even through U Motors.

Still, for the umpteen millionth time, I would remove the pumpkin and verify which seal is the problem.

Now git boy! Git-r-done!

I think when I did mine the tools from U motors were going to be 200-300 bucks and they were not sure when they could get them so I improvised. :)