Yamaha Tall windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfah

Reaction score
Is installation of the Yamaha Tall windscreen for an '07 as easy as it seems? Murphy's Law is haunting me. It appears the plastic cover snaps off, then remove the plastic screws and shield replace new shield and do not over-tighten screws. Sound right?

Is installation of the Yamaha Tall windscreen for an '07 as easy as it seems? Murphy's Law is haunting me. It appears the plastic cover snaps off, then remove the plastic screws and shield replace new shield and do not over-tighten screws. Sound right?
except that part it has TWO small screws on the bottom ( look up at it)

and shield replace new shield and do not over-tighten screws. Sound right?
Yes, those screws are purposely designed as shear items in the case of a get-off and overtorquing will break them.

You're saying not to miss them right?

Thanks

and shield replace new shield and do not over-tighten screws. Sound right?
Yes, those screws are purposely designed as shear items in the case of a get-off and overtorquing will break them.

Sounds good, thank you.

yes, if you try to snap off the w, you WILL break it. the two screws hold it in place, remove them, pull up on the W bar GENTLY and it should come off.

THE W SHAPED OUTSIDE COVER DOES JUST SNAP OFF? THIS IS MY MAIN CONCERN BECAUSE IT SEEMS RESISTENT?

Also, youll see that the origional wind shield has a foam adhisive on it in the area that it mounts. The new one doesnt. The new windshied will make a whistleing sound and it really annoying esp if you ride without a helmet. I ended up just picking up some foam, 3m door and window sealing gasket at home depot and stuck that on there in the places the origional one had foam. Whistle is gone.

yes, if you try to snap off the w, you WILL break it. the two screws hold it in place, remove them, pull up on the W bar GENTLY and it should come off.

THANKS, THAT'S WHAT I NEEDED TO CONFIRM!

Also, youll see that the origional wind shield has a foam adhisive on it in the area that it mounts. The new one doesnt. The new windshied will make a whistleing sound and it really annoying esp if you ride without a helmet. I ended up just picking up some foam, 3m door and window sealing gasket at home depot and stuck that on there in the places the origional one had foam. Whistle is gone.

Ok, I will definitely add the foam.

Thanks

one last thing, there is a sticker on the new wind screen. Warning Lable POS. just grap a blow dryer, and heat that puppy up, get it nice and hot, the heat of a blow dryer wont damage the widscreen. The sticker will come off super easy in one piece. Mine didnt even leave any glue residue behind. I did the same to remove the sticker from the gas tank too.

There were 2 screws that hold on the plastic cover as I remember. They are accessed under the W plastic and lay along the windscreen. After those are removed the 7 composite screws come right out. Mine did not have any foam or gasket for the windshield but it did have foam rubber covering the windshield arm slots. It was not well installed and I had to reinstall it. PITA I would not do it unless you had to take of the front plastic for other reasons.

Changing the windshield should take all of 10 min.

How does that screen work for you?

I have a CB +2 +0 flip that I'm not happy with and thinking of going with the Yami Touring.

I replaced the stock windscreen with the tall windscreen. (Well, the dealer did the work.) First of all, for myself alone, I was happy with the stock screen. But Stella says the tall screen provides better wind protection for her, so who am I to argue?

All was well until a couple days ago when my ears heard what sounds like a mild grinding, or rubbing sound, when the screen retracts. So I took a closer look (never really LOOKED at the windscreen before, well just through it hahaha!) and, well, I can't see anything to grease cause it's (the retracting mechanism) is located behind a plastic panel. I'm think that MAYBE the cause is the rubber gaitors (is that the correct term?) rubbing on the metal arms as the thing retracts? Any ideas?

How does that screen work for you?I have a CB +2 +0 flip that I'm not happy with and thinking of going with the Yami Touring.

I'm out of town and my screen should arrive tomorrow. I won't be able to install it probably till Monday so when I do I'll post my results. I'm 5'8" so I thought for the money I'd try the Yami. It seems the 4 inches should do it for me.

We'll find out soon enough.

There were 2 screws that hold on the plastic cover as I remember. They are accessed under the W plastic and lay along the windscreen. After those are removed the 7 composite screws come right out. Mine did not have any foam or gasket for the windshield but it did have foam rubber covering the windshield arm slots. It was not well installed and I had to reinstall it. PITA I would not do it unless you had to take of the front plastic for other reasons.

mrfah said:

That's great, thanks

one last thing, there is a sticker on the new wind screen. Warning Lable POS. just grap a blow dryer, and heat that puppy up, get it nice and hot, the heat of a blow dryer wont damage the widscreen. The sticker will come off super easy in one piece. Mine didnt even leave any glue residue behind. I did the same to remove the sticker from the gas tank too.

Very good, thanks.

I replaced the stock windscreen with the tall windscreen. (Well, the dealer did the work.) First of all, for myself alone, I was happy with the stock screen. But Stella says the tall screen provides better wind protection for her, so who am I to argue?
All was well until a couple days ago when my ears heard what sounds like a mild grinding, or rubbing sound, when the screen retracts. So I took a closer look (never really LOOKED at the windscreen before, well just through it hahaha!) and, well, I can't see anything to grease cause it's (the retracting mechanism) is located behind a plastic panel. I'm think that MAYBE the cause is the rubber gaitors (is that the correct term?) rubbing on the metal arms as the thing retracts? Any ideas?

I have no clue but will be interested to hear what others contribute.

Thanks so much for the info. I'm gonna see if I can find some locally. We've got two bicycle shops, and a lot of hardware outlets.