Yamaha Top Box Mounting Plate for '06

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

too_many_hobbies

Reaction score
I received the Yamaha top box, backrest pad, and mounting plate today that the dealer assured me was for the '06. The holes in the mounting plate do line up with the holes in the luggage rack. The mounting plate comes with 3 longer allen head bolts and 2 spacers. The spacers are about twice too long. Not having any experience with the FJR, I am not sure how much to cut the spacers off. Are the rubber bumpers on the bottom of the mounting plate supposed to rest on the luggage rack or are the spacers supposed to keep the mounting plate from touching the luggage rack?

too_many_hobbies

AS an update and to clarify, I used one of the long spacers provided with the mount, but cut it in half, using one half under each forward bolt. I only used a thin washer on the rear. I used two pieces of 3/16 rubber (making it 3/8 thick) under each of the two rear rubber bumpers on the base plate. You have to make sure that when you tighten the bolts down you do not cause the base plate to bend...it must stay flat. I had to experiment with diffrent thicknesses of washers between the rear bolt hole and the base plate to do this.

You might want to talk to your dealer about this, as mine will trade me when the 06 mounting hardware is available , and not charge me anything...even knowing I destroyed some of the parts.....

KM

AS an update and to clarify, I used one of the long spacers provided with the mount, but cut it in half, using one half under each forward bolt. I only used a thin washer on the rear. I used two pieces of 3/16 rubber (making it 3/8 thick) under each of the two rear rubber bumpers on the base plate. You have to make sure that when you tighten the bolts down you do not cause the base plate to bend...it must stay flat. I had to experiment with diffrent thicknesses of washers between the rear bolt hole and the base plate to do this.You might want to talk to your dealer about this, as mine will trade me when the 06 mounting hardware is available , and not charge me anything...even knowing I destroyed some of the parts.....

KM

Knifemaker,

As I understand this, the mounting plate is correct, we just have the incorrect hardware. Thank you for the starting dimensions of the modified hardware. I am visiting with my brother-in-law tomorrow at the machine shop where he works regarding some custom cell phone and 2-way radio mounts. That will be a perfect time to cut down the spacers. I will contact my dealer and see if I can also get the '06 hardware kit when available.

Thanks again,

too_many_hobbies

AS an update and to clarify, I used one of the long spacers provided with the mount, but cut it in half, using one half under each forward bolt. I only used a thin washer on the rear. I used two pieces of 3/16 rubber (making it 3/8 thick) under each of the two rear rubber bumpers on the base plate. You have to make sure that when you tighten the bolts down you do not cause the base plate to bend...it must stay flat. I had to experiment with diffrent thicknesses of washers between the rear bolt hole and the base plate to do this.

You might want to talk to your dealer about this, as mine will trade me when the 06 mounting hardware is available , and not charge me anything...even knowing I destroyed some of the parts.....

KM

Knifemaker,

As I understand this, the mounting plate is correct, we just have the incorrect hardware. Thank you for the starting dimensions of the modified hardware. I am visiting with my brother-in-law tomorrow at the machine shop where he works regarding some custom cell phone and 2-way radio mounts. That will be a perfect time to cut down the spacers. I will contact my dealer and see if I can also get the '06 hardware kit when available.

Thanks again,

too_many_hobbies
The mounting plate for the 06 was released on the Yamaha Website on 5/11. They say it costs $115.95, $49. more than the '05. Does the 05 actually work? The pad is the same as all years, and the box is $589.95. Total cost with 06 parts $808.85 !!!!! Aftermarket sure looks good!!!

KM

Knifemaker,

Thanks again,

too_many_hobbies
The mounting plate for the 06 was released on the Yamaha Website on 5/11. They say it costs $115.95, $49. more than the '05. Does the 05 actually work? The pad is the same as all years, and the box is $589.95. Total cost with 06 parts $808.85 !!!!! Aftermarket sure looks good!!!
I had Malcom Smith Motorsports here in SoCal call Yammy about the trunk and Yammy told them (while I was standing at the parts counter) the mounting brackets will not be available until mid-June....are they out now????

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Yamaha website, my part numbers match that listed for the '06 for my trunk and backrest pad. The part number of the rear trunk attachment kit sent to me is the same as the '05 attachment kit on the Yamaha website. What doesn't make sense though is that the picture on Yamaha's website of the '05 attachment kit only shows 1 hole where mine has 3 that match the 3 bolts in the '06 luggage rack. I think I have the correct mounting plate but the wrong hardware. I will try to find out through the dealer that I purchased the trunk and associated parts from on Monday.

Same old crap you go through when you buy the first year for anything.

too_many_hobbies

Got a call from my dealer today telling me they got the 2006 mounting hardware and base plate in.

I have not seen it yet, and won't be able to pick it up till saturday. I will post photos of it ( provided it is the correct one...lol)

More to folow.......

KM