yammie touring shield pics

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnewlf

Reaction score
Somewhere on this forum are pictures of the Yamaha touring shield compared to other shields. I have yahooed, googled and otherwise searched in vain and at risk of getting thoroughly hogged out I must fearfully ask if someone could point me in the right direction-or post pics of the shield..Some say it is two inches higher,others four.. Sounds like a good deal at around $100.. tx

I have the yammie touring shield on my 08, I am going out of town on business today, but if you haven't found any pics by next weekend I can snap a few when I get back and post them. Although I haven't measured my impression was the touring screen is +4 in height and +1 in width. I am 6'1" with a 33 inseam (stubby legs) for the most part I am happy with the touring screen. It gets most of the wind/rain of my chest and shoulders, but wind still catches the top 1 or 2 inches of my helmet. This is noisey but I don't mind as I wear hearing protection. Then again, I traded in a Suzuki VStrom with a zero gravity double bubble screen so my frame of reference is wind in my face all the time.

I can measure it up versus stock and snap a few pics on Friday if you haven't tracked any down.

I had this shield on my 08 but returned it. I'm 5'9", 32" inseam. With it all the way up the top of the shield was right in my line of sight. The helmet buffetting was as bad as the stocker. Even lowering the shiled with the switch didn't make it any better. I may try the Cal Science Medium hich is only 2.5" higher than stock as opposed to the 4" for the Yamaha Touring shield.

I installed mine last week. No complaints. Somewhat better than the stock shield for wind noise. Be sure to order the foam "seat" at the same time. It's only a couple of bucks, but doesn't come with the shield. Be careful with the installation. It's held in place with small plastic screws. Ugh.

I bought the Yammie touring shield used last winter, with some skyway spacers thrown in the deal free. My bike didn't come with a foam seat and 13000 miles on the stocker it didn't make any difference. I installed the shield with the spacers Saturday and ran the bike for 100 miles through tight twisties to sweepers and 120 on a straightaway. I'm 6' 2." or so with long body (31 inch inseam).

My impressions: the shield with the spacers at lowest position will rub the fairing and I put a little painters tape to avoid rubbing, but I don't like it at the lowest position anyway. I may remove the spacers which lower the angle of the shield. Handling seemed the same as the stock shield. Some more flexion in the shield, but not bothersome. I can see over the shield easily, even at highest setting. Gas milage actually seems to have gone up a tiny bit (hard to be sure after so little testing), which may be from smoothing out the airflow. The good: My helmet buffeting has stopped and I have less neck pain (bad neck) with the touring shield. Noise appears to be about the same to me. A loud whistle at one position, but easily avoided. There is no "cone of silence" I could find. The wind hit my shoulders, but not bothersome and I enjoy the feel of movement anyway.

I need more time with it and I may take out the spacers, but first impressions are favorable except for the esthetic "barn door" look. The spacers do make the shield look smaller and a little more rakish. On long trips I think the touring shield will save some effort and mean longer mileage possible. On short blasts I prefer the stocker, but the larger shield is good.

If people can't find pics soon I'll put my stocker up against the tourer and snap a picture.

Just my initial impression.

Not the greatest quality pic, but you can somehow see the difference between the touring and stock screen.

PICT1479.jpg