Yellow Box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgfella

Reaction score
Yellow Box Speedometer Calibration

Anyone seen or used one of these? I was trolling the net and came across this. I've noticed the speedo has a 2-3% error versus my GPS. Now I know this is not a big deal, and probably not worth $100 bucks, but I'm a farkle nut and can't stop.

Thoughts? Flames?

Haven't seen or used that one, but since I'm a farkle nut too--I think I'm much happier with my Sigma Cyclometer. And, it's much cheaper (about $35 at REI) and more functional too. Plus adjustment is accomplished on the back of the bezel in case one wants to adjust for tire wear.

Yellow Box Speedometer Calibration
Anyone seen or used one of these? I was trolling the net and came across this. I've noticed the speedo has a 2-3% error versus my GPS. Now I know this is not a big deal, and probably not worth $100 bucks, but I'm a farkle nut and can't stop.

Thoughts? Flames?
A lot of R1 guys used to use them, but I never did it to mine.

Randy - Thanks for the link. I might be making an investment. I like the plug and play feature. I'm going to call them about an 'exact' plug and play for the FJR.

I bought two of the yellow boxes on a group buy on the R1 forum several years ago...one for my R1 which was heinously inaccurate, and one for my 4x4 truck that I put 33" tires on. Ironically, the R1 required more correction than the truck, and that was just due to stock speedo error. I still have the one on my truck and it works great. I removed the Y/B from the R1 before selling the bike and sold it on another forum. I'm not really sure why you'd want one on the FJR anyway, unless your speedo is alot more inaccurate than mine. According to my Garmin, mine only has about 1 1/2 mph error at 70 mph. I can live with that. The 7 3/4% correction my R1 required was another issue though. Connection of the Y/B was simple enough. I didn't want to cut the speed sensor wires, so I got some terminals at work that were identical to the factory ones and wired it that way. Speed sensor signal voltage is very low, so you need very good connections! Solderless terminals are NOT a good idea for this application. Yes, the Yellow Box works great, but it is pricey and not really worth the time, money, or effort on the FJR IMHO.

I just went to the SpeedoHealer website for the hell of it. It's only a few bucks cheaper than the Y/B, but does offer the plug and play ease. However, the Y/B has a ten year warranty to only two years for the S/H. The max speed recall is a cutesie feature, but you'll likely want to conceal the black box, so that means pay ten bucks extra for the remote button, or have to access the black box when you actually want to use this feature. Like I said before though, the FJR speedo is more accurate from the factory than most, making either one of these just a toy. Spend the hundred bucks on something more useful.

I looked at the website and how the unit works. If the speedo-error is really an issue I sure it would work as indicated (never tried this or any of the others myself).

But ....

I would have serious concerns about using it on ABS equipped bike. If I am not mistaken the vehicle speed is fed to the dash from the engine computer. So the "pulsed" signal only goes from the pickup on the wheel to the engine computer, not the dash. Then it goes to the dash as part of the data stream via the "serial-like-protocol" wire. So to get this to work it has to be before the signal gets to the engine computer. But if you "alter" it there you may screw up the ABS.

(Feel free to correct me if I am wrong since I am sitting at my desk at work writting this without access to the service manual.)

For my money though, get a GPS. I find them way more accurate than dash speedos once you are up to speed.

- Colin

Vehicle Speed Sense (VSS) comes off the back right side of the engine and goes directly to the ECU.

Alan