Yet another GPS Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorcycle-ed

Reaction score
I have used the old street pilots and for the last 4 years used the Garmin 2610. Features are fine and it functions OK, but I am on my third one and it seems a losing battle trying to use a non-waterproof unit on a motorcycle when you ride a LOT like I do. hell, I get caught in the rain a lot, and when camping even with the cover on, the dew can be so heavy it rains UNDER the cover. This happened two weeks ago and the damned screen delaminated...again... Once this happens the unit becomes over-sensitive to touch, gets hung up, get scratched so bad you cant see it anymore...

Anyway, the bottom line is: Has anyone used the 276C/376C units with the navigation buttons instead of touch screen and what was your experience with it? I am seriously considering that. The Zumo is waterproof and made for MC use, but I hate the touchscreen thing.

Ed, Lancaster, SC

I have a 276C & love it. My favorite feature? The screen is actually big enough to be seen from where I sit & where it is mounted. I can read the street/route names in varieties of light.

It is known for having one of the best displays of them all.

Oh, and it functions great, also. Very easy to use. I came from a Garmin GPS V & the funtion, though the 276C has so much more, was very similar & I picked right up on its function.

I think it's the 376C which can actually receive weather.

Thanks Luvtoride, that is exactly the kind of input I wanted to hear about. I have never been able to actually see one of these in action and since it is a pretty expensive way to go, I want some opinions first. Don't I remember that this one can also display the screen vertically up, or the more traditiona sideways? Or is that being confused with something else?

Ed :unsure:

The screen is landscape only. I purchased a 276c about 2 months ago and am pleased with the unit. The screen on the Zumo did not impress me and the Zumo seemed to be "dumbed down" for consumers. I have been using GPS for a long time and like having lots of data display options, something the Zumo did not seem to have. it is more complicated to use and is way to tempting to mess with while on the road. You also have to buy extra stuff to make it most suitable for a motorcycle so it works out to be about the same price as a Zumo.

On concern, it is "old school" and I wonder if and when it will be replaced with an upgrade.

I've had them all - and if my brother hadn't absconded with both of my 276cs (one was stolen from his car, so he 'borrowed' my other unit) I'd still be using it.

The 276c and it's cousin's displays are second to nothing. The TFT display gets easier to read as the sun shines brighter, unliek everything else.

Sure, it doesn;t do 3D map displays, but it is very configurable (unlike the Nuvi, Zumop and C series) and I do not like touchsreens.

I have reviews posted on epinions if you case to check them out - search this board for links or go to epinions and look up my username - same as here.

The 376 is the same as the 276 except that it supports XM and is delivered with the XM radio pod included and can display weather and so on . . . the 378 has full mapping on board.

If you happen to own a boat, the 276/376 and so on are your only choice. For biking, the 276 is my personal favorite.

Buy a used unit like I did. The whole kit & kabudle cost me $250.00 or so. On the downside... I really, really need to update my maps.

Also, the 276c comes w/ a car mount. That is actually what I am using on my bike. No extra mounting stuff purchased. The mounting holes on the back of the car cradle lined up identically w/ my tech mount which is on the center nut.

I hear that the technically challenged prefer the Zumo & the 276C is more technical.

I like the fact that I can change the display to show values (speed, elevation, distance to next, distance to final, direction, time of arrival, time to next & a "lot" of other things) or not display values at all. This for me was huge & I love that particular function.

I can display the things that I want to see right at the map page. Keep in mind that you are limited to 5 of these values to display on that particular page. More values can be added to another page, though.

I was playing w/ a friend's Zumo & ASSumed that you could do the same w/ the Zumo display. You cannot.

My assumtion: you, being a previous GPS user, should have absolutely no problem learning the function of one of these.

Like Frank said... if you're a boater, this series is the way to go if you'd like to use it for both. Did I mention that it's very waterproof?

Good luck with yor purchase

Edited to add: Ed, I see that you're coming to EOM. Are you planning to purchase before then? If you're not in a hurry, I'd be glad to show you my 276C while there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edited to add: Ed, I see that you're coming to EOM. Are you planning to purchase before then? If you're not in a hurry, I'd be glad to show you my 276C while there.

Yes, I wil be at the EOM but I certainly hope to have one before then. My 2610 is fading fast. After some time on the road, the thing locks up, thinking it is constantly being pressed. The problem goes and comes. Same thing has happened over time to two other 2610s. I have a lot of experience with GPS, both portable and installed on aircraft doing instrument approaches, and being a technogeek to start with, it sounds like I would love all the features on the 276. Does it have any voice prompts at all? While to some extent it is a gimmick, there are times on the MC when not looking at the display to know a turn is coming up is a plus. As near as I can tell, there is no prompting feature on the 236, 336, or any of that family.

Ed

Does it have any voice prompts at all?
Yeah, it does... but it doesn't state the name of the road. Just "turn right in 50 feet" type commands. In the car kit there is a speaker inline in the cigarette lighter adapter. No built in speaker except for "beep" type prompts.

There is a large amount of control over what you want to hear as far as voice commands, volume & such. Also, the cycle mount for permanent power has a split connection. One connection is to power the unit & the other feed is to plug in for voice prompt if you're set up for it. I guess that you can pipe it straight to your helmet or mixer of your choice if'n you wanted.

I myself just acquired a Chatterbox not long ago & haven't gotten the proper connection for unit to unit, yet. I guess that I should, huh? :blush:

Also there are lots of control over your display such as contrast & brightness. I'm betting you'll really like it. Like I said, I can read it from where I sit on the bike. I do believe the *76C series has the largest display of bike type units.

Heidi

Edited to mention: Most of this unit's function is customizeable. There are very few things that are completely set in stone. As many times as I've seen posts about this unit, I don't remember that being mentioned... & it is worth mentioning.

Also, the 276c comes w/ a car mount. That is actually what I am using on my bike. No extra mounting stuff purchased. The mounting holes on the back of the car cradle lined up identically w/ my tech mount which is on the center nut.
Actually, the 276 comes with a gimbal MARINE mount that works really well on a RAM base. It also comes with the pigtail power connector.

What it does NOT come with is the automotive mount, cigarette lighter cable, memory chip or mapping - you need to source those separately. Garmin does offer kits, but unless something's changed they include only 128 megs of memory (you can buy up to 512).

Also, as someone mentioned, it does not do text To Speech (TTS) where it tried to pronounce street names, but it DOES to 'standard routing' announcements where is says things like 'turn left in one mile' and such . . .

Note that you CAN route from New York to LA in 128 megs under at least some mapping versions - haven't tried it with the latest. But unless you are a long rider, 128 or 256 should be more than adequate.

I hear rumours that there will be a replacement next year. But that doesn't mean that the 276 will drop dead . . .

I have a 128 card & the card size leaves a bit to be desired. I want BIGGER!

Mistako on the mount. Thanks for the correction.

I hear that the technically challenged prefer the Zumo & the 276C is more technical.
Just because some Zumo owners don't care to know when the next solar eclipse will occur, don't pigeon hole all Zumo owners as non geeks.

Some, like myself, find its simplicity refreshing. It probably isn't what hardcore rally(sp) and LD riders need but for the average rider it works fine (when it works) :unsure:

Just because some Zumo owners don't care to know when the next solar eclipse will occur, don't pigeon hole all Zumo owners as non geeks.

Some, like myself, find its simplicity refreshing. It probably isn't what hardcore rally(sp) and LD riders need but for the average rider it works fine (when it works) :unsure:
Just reporting what I've heard, Bob. I don't own one & cannot report on that fact. Hey, if someone gave me one, I wouldn't turn it down for sure. Please don't be offended.

Hey, did you notice that this guy isn't looking for simplicity? Or the fact that he hates touch screens?