Yosemite Valley and Hetch Hetchy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy Epperson

Reaction score
For pictures click

Hwy 41 from Oakhurst was clear with no sand on the pavement with a couple of places with met coming across the highway. Not the case from the North Entrance, particularly from Crane Flat down to the intersection of it, 140 and 41. Lots of sand on the surface other than the tire tracks.

They have closed on of the roads that came out of Curry Valley that cross the river to Yosemite Village. So instead of one-way traffic between the first cross over from South to North to Curry Valley, it's 2 way. It looks like it will be that way for a while as they have torn up the road bed and looks like bridge deck.

Yosemite Fall and Bridelviel Falls are flowing and look great. Can't wait to go back during the heavy snow met in May.

Lots of sand on the first 1 or so from Hwy 120 into Hetch Hetchy and then clear expect for a few trees' remains which are on the road. Hetch Hetchy is at 94% capacity and holding level until the met which it will overflow according a Park Ranger.

The food and service is excellent at the Evergreen Lodge in Mather.

On the Mather Road heading for Cherry Hill Road, we say at least 3 dozen deer!! I wonder how many more were along the road we missed!! Came to a meadow with a herd of about a dozen. Tried to get some pictures and "horde" of Harley's blasted by reving their engines totally unaware of the herd. Some great views Tuolumne River Gouge if you have not been on Mather Road.

Per the Park Ranger, Cherry Hill Road from Hwy 120 into Cherry Hill Reservoir is open but from there to Tuolumne is close with trees, rocks and some snow. He said the County generally does clear the road until April / early May.

And last but the most important, it's tourist season (whoops, I was one)!!! Remember to Ride Right!!! At least on 3 occasions if I'd not been Riding Right, I would have been a hood ornament. One was 3/4 into my lane on a total blind right hand turn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you didn't get dead Roy !! did your spouse ride with you?? as I remember you both have bikes .....right??
Not that close as we where on NP roads and under 35 (yes, FJRs go that slow :rolleyes: ). Hep, she rides a Vstar 1300. We were single file as they were twisty roads.

How's your bike?

Glad you didn't get dead Roy !! did your spouse ride with you?? as I remember you both have bikes .....right??
Not that close as we where on NP roads and under 35 (yes, FJRs go that slow :rolleyes: ). Hep, she rides a Vstar 1300. We were single file as they were twisty roads.

How's your bike?

Parts were ordered and I will follow-up on a due date tomorrow............ you know those fancy girls :rolleyes: shes at the parlor gettin all doll'd up.

The FJR will fly again for sure........ not long now.

and Roy........... you said you were going 35 !?!!!!????!! were you out of gas coasting to the nearest petrol station??....... :lol: :blink: :lol: :lol: l

Okay, you asked for it. Here are some pictures - well not "quite" a few

Some of you might have see my post regarding request asking about routes outside of Yosemite that we could pre-ride for the California State SCRC Rally in Oakhurst. My riding buddy is responsible for coming up with the "non-poker run" rides for the event. Rod, my wife (Catherine) and I have ridden Yosemite NP many times not very little to the Southeast. CAJW (John) respond with several great ideas. So last Friday we left the Bay Area latter than hoped and rode down Hwy 49 from Angles Camp to Oakhurst via Raymond. The next day we spent checking out roads, rest stops, gas stops, and food for a ride Southeast of Oakhurst. This was not a FJR canyon carver ride nor majority of road. None the less great country to ride.

On Sunday, we left Oakhurst about 8:30 (48 degrees), at the South Park Entrance is was 38. By the time we got into Yosemite Valley, it was in the high 50s.

Route map link

Shaver Lake - the "real" snow melt doesn't start for a month or so

shaverLakeCA_201003201003_001.JPG

We got to Shaver Lake before they opened but talked Rocky (manager/owner?) of Wahtoke Grill and Bar, 41782 Dorabella Rd. Nice menu and atmosphere.

Kerckhoff Lake about midway between Shaver Lake and Oakhurst on Auberry Road

kerckhoffLakeCA_201003201003_000.JPG

kerckhoffLakeCA_201003201003_003.JPG

Heading into Yosemite Valley on Hwy 41 at the overlook just North of the tunnel

yosemiteEntrance_201003201003_001.JPG

The trail up to Bridalveil Falls

bridalveilFallsYosemiteCa_201003201003_001.JPG

bridalveilFallsYosemiteCa_201003201003_007.JPG

Just a small Yosemite rock - El Capitan

yosemiteFallsYosemiteCa_201003201003_003.JPG

My "best friend" (Catherine my wife), her '07 VStar 1300, my FJR and Yosemite Falls

yosemiteFallsYosemiteCa_201003201003_010.JPG

yosemiteFallsYosemiteCa_201003201003_004.JPG

The lower Yosemite Falls. Yosemite Falls is two falls

yosemiteFallsYosemiteCa_201003201003_016.JPG

A great place to eat is the Evergreen Lodge just past Mather on the road into Hetch Hetchy. We've eaten there several times; great food and service.

One of the outfalls of the Hetch Hetchy reservoir -O'Shaughnessy Dam completed in 1923. From talking with a Park Ranger, the level is 94% which they will hold until the main snow melt occurs in May. At which time, most likely all the outflows and overflow with be running few force.

hetchHetchyYosemiteCa_201003201003_012.JPG

hetchHetchyYosemiteCa_201003201003_014.JPG

https://theboomerzoomers.net/picturePool/pictures/hetchHetchyYosemiteCa_201003201003_025.JPG/img]

This was a herd of deer we saw along Cherry Lake Road. Unfortunately just as I was getting ready to take the picture, several Harleys came blasting through totally clueless why a 'Wing, Vstar and FJR were stopped. But the just had to "rap" their pipes to show they were cool...

hetchHetchyYosemiteCa_201003201003_027.JPG

The mileage sign where Cherry Lake Road junctions with Hwy 120

hetchHetchyYosemiteCa_201003201003_028.JPG

For more pictures of Hetch Hetchy and Yosemite check out my website

Good stuff, Roy... there is just something magical about Yosemite no matter how many times you go... and Cherry Lake Rd is a kick in the pants (Harleys or no Harleys!!) :)

Good stuff, Roy... there is just something magical about Yosemite no matter how many times you go... and Cherry Lake Rd is a kick in the pants (Harleys or no Harleys!!) :)
Love Yo-sem-ite, but still looks cold :cold: !

Think, I'm going to wait until Thanksgiving for this ride! Maybe I'll book Thanksgiving dinner at the Awanee? Might be a good idea to wait till after turkey season is over? :trinibob:

Good that ya been there early, and done it already Roy!

Latest posts