Zippers (again)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!!
Reaction score
Had I paid attention to this thread from last year, my evening would have been much more pleasant than it just was!

I may know a little bit about cars, maybe slightly less about bikes, I'm pretty good with servers and PCs and networking stuff (subnets, gateways, protocols, etc.) but I don't know SHIT about zippers.

I made about 40-eleven stops on the way home this evening. It's drizzly but not too chilly, mid-60s actually. I've got my Cortech HRX with its waterproof liner, same with the Tour Master pants, so I'm comfortably dry. The liners let the shells get wet, but it's WAY easier to ungear/gear-up at the stops with the liners instead of a rain suit.

Last stop, zip up the jacket, the pull tab breaks off at the top. I don't think anything of it, it's all the way up, so I put on my lid and get on home.

I get home, and those of you who know more about zippers than me know what's coming. There I am in a $200+ jacket and its waterproof liner and the main zipper won't open! I've got pliers, I've got a jeweler's screwdriver stuck down the thing (and hopefully not into my throat) and nothing. I'm thinking I've got to cut the zipper out and hope I can get the jacket repaired. Jan's asleep, even though it's only 6:30, but something woke her up. Might have been the yelling from the garage. (I had to go outside because I was getting hot.) She sees what's happening, gets a shoe and pulls the lace out, threads it through the zipper pull, and slides it down smooth as silk!

Now you have to understand something. In ten years of marriage, and the years before marriage, Jan has never, ever, not one time EVER managed to astound me like she did in that moment! I ALWAYS have the solution when something doesn't work right! I ALWAYS know exactly what to do to fix it! I ALWAYS have the tool, the part, the knowledge, or at least know where to get it. I am: [SIZE=24pt]FIX-IT MAN!!!![/SIZE]

(Really. She calls me that.)

Little miss domestic skillz comes up to me after an hour of pliers, vise-grips, knives, screwdrivers, silicon spray, and language and opens the zipper in seconds. WITH A PIECE OF STRING!!!!!!! Something all of my solve-it tools could rip to shreds!!!

How the hell am I supposed to know that there's a latch thingie inside there that locks the zipper until it's pulled just so???!! Where's the tech manual for that???

So I kissed her, said thanks, she said I was "sweaty" and went back to sleep.

Honestly, though, the jacket is 18 months old, has a bit over 16,000 miles. Maybe it's time to consider a new one.

Santa????

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing Jan never wore zippers, you might still be dating instead of married 10 years. :rolleyes:

Here's hoping she can still astound 25 years from now!

when i first starting wearing an aerostich in '98 or so and broke the forearm zipper pull, i learned of a little company called zrk, for zipper repair kit. they are very good at giving you a bunch of pieces to fix most zipper issues, and provide good instructions.

https://www.zipperrescue.com/

hth,

d

I put zip ties on most of my zippers and a few spares under the seat. Makes them easier to operate with gloves on.

Actually, the 2 or 3 times I've broken the "tab", I've replaced it with a key ring. The little "locking ring" slips through where the tab attaches and it's easier for my "manly-hands" to grab, anyway.

I have a ring from a 'flashbang' on one of my zippers. It was supposed to be temporary, but it worked so good, I kind of forgot about fixing it. I think that was 3 years ago. Those and key rings work great.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the key ring (or is it +2 now?) I broke the pull tab on the main zipper on my textile Yamaha jacket. Replaced it with a key ring, and kept the pull tab on it as well (since it had a nice rubber Yamaha tag).

Actually, the 2 or 3 times I've broken the "tab", I've replaced it with a key ring. The little "locking ring" slips through where the tab attaches and it's easier for my "manly-hands" to grab, anyway.
This is how I handle the same situation.

This is how I handle the same situation.
Er...uhm...Heidi, I assume it works with your "lady-like" hands, also! ;)

Good story. Thing that would have made it a riot was if it was your pants............. and ya had to pee :lol:

:jester:

Probably wouldn't-a been no pliers and screwdrivers and knives, then.

(Peeing inside a waterproof liner. Oh, I hope not!!!!)

<snip>Last stop, zip up the jacket, the pull tab breaks off at the top. I don't think anything of it, it's all the way up, so I put on my lid and get on home.

I get home, and those of you who know more about zippers than me know what's coming. There I am in a $200+ jacket and its waterproof liner and the main zipper won't open!

<snip> (I had to go outside because I was getting hot.) She sees what's happening, gets a shoe and pulls the lace out, threads it through the zipper pull, and slides it down smooth as silk!

Now you have to understand something. In ten years of marriage, and the years before marriage, Jan has never, ever, not one time EVER managed to astound me like she did in that moment!

<snip>

So I kissed her, said thanks, she said I was "sweaty" and went back to sleep.
Good response to the SO!

Now, understand that you were hot, sweaty, frustrated and couldn't see what you were doing. (I know, sounds like a teenager at lover's lane, doesn't it?) :lol: :lol:

If you had the jacket off and on the bench, you would have figured it out nothing flat.

I keep a few small split rings on hand for just such problems. In a pinch the paper clip saves the day, but they don't make those like they used to and they always seem to break quickly on me. A quick stop at a locksmith on the road will get you a variety of split rings sizes for cheap. Then a bit of leather, or those zipper tabs that Aerostich sends with the jacket and you're good for several more years.

Keep the jacket if you like it. Nothing really wrong with it yet.

I keep a few small split rings on hand for just such problems. In a pinch the paper clip saves the day, but they don't make those like they used to and they always seem to break quickly on me. A quick stop at a locksmith on the road will get you a variety of split rings sizes for cheap. Then a bit of leather, or those zipper tabs that Aerostich sends with the jacket and you're good for several more years.
Damn! Seems like a bunch of trouble for a broken pull tang.... Why not put a car tire on it OC? :****:

:lol: :lol: :yahoo:

:jester: