Zippers and Tangs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperbike

Reaction score
Both legs of my HT overpants and one of my Sidi boot zippers have had the tangs break off. I use a paper clip wrapped with electrical tape to replace them. Does anyone else have these problems? if so what is your fix?

Last edited by a moderator:
Both legs of my HT overpants and one of my Sidi boot zippers have had the tangs break off. I use a paper clip wrapped with electrical tape to replace them. Does anyone else have these problems? if so what is your fix?
I had it happen to one of the zippers on the HT overpants, and lots of regular coats and such. I usually try to find a functional pull tab on an old garment that will fit, but if that doesn't work I use a paperclip or, on bigger zippers, a key ring. A paperclip may not be a good idea on waterproof riding gear because it will rust if it gets wet.

Yeah, the paper clip, sometimes with tape.

The zipper tang quality must be deteriorating. I have recently lost one on my portable tool bag, one on my snow boots, and one on my old hoodie.

Is this a conspiracy??? :ph34r: or just acid rain??

I found a YKK zipper repair kit at the Viking/Husqvarna (yes the same as the dirt bikes) sewing shop once ages ago. I had the entire slider come off a jacket. They have replacement sliders, pull-tabs, and the little things you crimp onto the bottom of the zipper to keep the slider on. The kit had about a dozen sizes of each piece for about $20 bucks, and it saved a $200 jacket.

And yes, I have a Husqvarna sewing machine now, but it's a 4-stroke.. One of these days, I need to get a Yamaha piano.

Just last week I had the tab/handle/whatever it's called pull off the zipper on my 4+ year old Sidi boots. The zipper itself is fine, but the little crimped on metal bit failed, so no more handle. Need to stop by my local shoe repair place to see about refurbishment or replacement.

I own a Yamaha a/v receiver!

Look in the yellow pages for marine canvas dealers or fabricators. They will have these things by the thousand. They use them on Bimini tops, enclosures, etc.

Mark

Maybe this is what Geezer was referring to, but I've used one of those split rings--sometimes used as key rings--for this purpose. Strong, won't rust, never works loose, best of all, free!

I have seen replacement zipper pulls in sporting goods stores. They are nylon loops with a locking "block" that will fit most larger zippers found on jackets, pants and boots.

They look just like these:

https://tinyurl.com/4f24gv

You can also, while in the sporting goods store, wander into the fishing section and buy some large 'split rings' (simular to the keyring but way smaller) and put on your "fob" of choice.

You can also use some of the larger snap swivels:

https://tinyurl.com/5kpjjg

Most fishing stuff is coated or stainless..

KM

Edit: these are "in stock"

https://tinyurl.com/5tgoxu

I have HT Air overpants and not only did the tang come off but so did the the rest of the zipper pull that the tang attaches to. Now my fly is only held closed by a little piece of velcro which isn't quite up to the job.