zumo® installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bike Effects

Reaction score
I have just installed a new zumo® on a TechMount Stem Mount with the optional Garmin XM antenna bracket (TechMount #GPS-XM, $19.95). I thought I would share.

zumo-01.jpg

zumo-02.jpg

zumo-03.jpg

zumo-04.jpg

I like the tech mount, looks nice and high class. I made my own bracket and it turned out pretty nice and the zumo is right where I like it. I also got the XM satelite radio antenna and I wanted it out of sight if it would still function well. Mine is inside the fairing on the left side, basically right on top of the radiator cap. Out of sight and still get great reception.

I have just installed a new zumo® on a TechMount Stem Mount with the optional Garmin XM antenna bracket (TechMount #GPS-XM, $19.95). I thought I would share.
Any bluetooth or com system integration? Specifically, bluetooth to your phone, then wired to a com system?

Any bluetooth or com system integration? Specifically, bluetooth to your phone, then wired to a com system?
I am using Bluetooth to connect to my Motorola RAZR. The whole thing runs through a Starcom Advance. The zumo is hard wired to a Blue Seas distribution block. Everything works very well. I was shocked to see that my cell phone directory loads into the zumo and I can use on screen functions to control the phone, as well as voice commands, which I have not tried as yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using Bluetooth to connect to my Motorola RAZR. The whole thing runs through a Starcom Advance. The zumo is hard wired to a Blue Seas distribution block. Everything works very well. I was shocked to see that my cell phone directory loads into the zumo and I can use on screen functions to control the phone, as well as voice commands, which I have not tried as yet.
I have almost the same setup as you Jeff (by the way thanks for your help). I tried the voice commands yesterday on my way back from SFO and it works perfectly. My only problem is that the phone must not be close to the Starcom or I get interfence. I just leave the phone in the Givi tail trunk and have no problems.

That's what I meant - I've been reading problems with getting it through an autocom, glad to see it works with the Starcom. That makes up my mind which one to get now.

OK super NOOB question here. Where do you keep the cell phone??? does it have to be close to the Zumo, or can you keep it in a pocket or tail bag?

OK super NOOB question here. Where do you keep the cell phone??? does it have to be close to the Zumo, or can you keep it in a pocket or tail bag?

I keep my phone in the GIVI trunk. This past weekend I stopped for lunch and took the phone in with me. However I left the ZUMO on the bike and forgot to turn it off. Once inside I opened the phone and noticed it still connected to the ZUMO. So to answer your question it does not have to be close to the ZUMO.

I am using Bluetooth to connect to my Motorola RAZR. The whole thing runs through a Starcom Advance. (snip)
Really? You use the Starcom?

;)
Stranger than fiction, right? :rolleyes:

I leave mine on my belt.

In the zumo manual, it says you should be within 10 meters for pairing. I think that gives you the freedom to put it pretty much anywhere.

Inside jacket pocket for me. Mine's a RAZR. Haven't had a problem. Haven't used the zumo much either, but I've ridden with the RAZR and Scala Rider a lot and that bluetooth connection was fine.

Jeff,

Do you like the Zumo better than your 2730? If so, why? On my 2730, I can store about 145 songs, how about the Zumo?

Thanks,

Jeff,
Do you like the Zumo better than your 2730? If so, why? On my 2730, I can store about 145 songs, how about the Zumo?

Thanks,
I'll leave the comparisons to Jeff. But on the music -- the zumo uses mini SD cards for storage. You can fit about 500 songs on a 2GB card.

Jeff,

Thanks,
The zumo is better than my 2730, which is going to my car. The controls are great on the zumo. Well thought out for the motorcyclist. The phone pairing is awesome. I was riding yesterday and got a very important call, which the caller ID displayed on the zumo. The cell phone telephone book downloads to the zumo as well in addition to recent calls, etc.

I was having trouble with vibration taking out the stereo plug in the side of the 2730. It is going back for warranty repair for the second time for this condition. The cables for the zumo attach to the cradle, which is designed to isolate the unit from vibes. Time will tell on that issue.

I talked to one customer who had 1.7GB on the SD card in the zumo. Storage is not an issue for most.