ZUMO 350 Installation - Where to Get Power

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaUtah

Reaction score
I just purchased the ZUMO 350, my first GPS unit on a bike as I make the switch over from paper maps!!! I know I can run the unit off battery, but that only gets me about 7 hours...I want to wire the power supply into my new 2013 instead. Can I simply tap into the power for the power accessory socket in the glovebox? I haven't been able to track down specs for the power into the accessory socket, but I assume it should be able to handle the load of a simple GPS unit. If anyone has done this I am open to hearing your experience. I want to wire it in once and be done with it, and hopefully not screw up the electrics on a new bike.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Socket will power your GPS no problem, it's fused at 3 amps. (I'm assuming it's the same as the Gen II.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's an extra expense and hassle, but adding one of the available fuse blocks to your bike will make this easy as well as anything else you decide to add. Otherwise the power plug or directly to the battery provided your wiring has an inline fuse.

I've got a '13 too and a Zumo 660. The Zumo 350 motorcycle power cord ends in bare wire. You'll need a cigarette lighter plug if you want to run it off the socket side (inside glovebox) of the power port. That's the easiest way to do it.

My set-up is more complicated. I have Centech fuse box with a relay under the seat. The power wires to my Zumo run under the tank to the fuse box. I use power from the taillight to switch the Centech fuse box on. The main Centech fuse box power comes from the battery. I'd make all your electrical connections to the battery at once, it's a PIA to get to.

FYI, 7 hours on battery power only is really optimistic. At full brightness, figure 2-3 hours max.

You have two choices for power, switched and unswitched. You'll want switched power for your Zumo so that it doesn't run your battery down if you forget it on in your garage for a few days. I don't know if the plug in the glove box is switched, but even of it is, a cigar lighter type plug is not the most reliable for a permanent installation. I suggest you look at the running light circuit to tap for switched power. You can (and should) run the ground directly to the battery.

If you intend to add several more electrical farkles then a fuse block or terminal strip would be a good way to go, but not worth the effort and expense for just one or two devices.

Easiest way is to tap the cig lighter wires in front of the glove box. Switched power, fused for light loads and all you need are two posi-taps.

Have fun!

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I will tap directly into the wire for the socket outside the glovebox. I can then run the wire up along all of the other wires running up to the left side handle bar. Thanks!