Zumo 450 & MP3s

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scab

I got nothin' here...
Reaction score
I have a Zumo 450 with a 2G SD card shoved in its innards that is loaded with MP3s. I thought that I heard someone say that they were using a 4G SD card in their Zumo, so I picked up a 4G and loaded it to the max with MP3s. Now, when I put the 4G in the Zumo and power up, the flash screen is displayed, then the little copyright junk, then across the bottom of the screen, "Loading Maps." It just stays there and never progresses any further. WTF?

I don't know that your unit has this problem, but it's possible that it needs to be reset. I had a similar problem with a Zumo 550, and resetting it fixed the problem. BEWARE: if you do this, all routes, waypoints, pictures, music files and tracks will be deleted.

To clear all the user data in your unit:

With the device off, place your fingertip on the bottom right corner of the touchscreen and press down.

While pressing down, power on the unit and continue pressing the screen until you see a message that says, 'do you really want to erase all user data?'

Click Yes. The unit then goes through the setup again.

Once the reset is complete, place your unit outside so that it can acquire satellites again.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

Not sure if it's similar, but I have a Nuvi 660 in the cage, and with a 4Gig SDHC card, it takes about 5 minutes (that's right -- 5 whole minutes) to read the card prior to the map being drawn.

I talked to Garmin, and they may change the software in the future to correct this (I'm not holding my breath)

If you loaded all the MP3s into a single folder, then it will take 4freakinever to load. The Zumo works best if you store music files in at least several, mostly balanced subfolders.

I divide my files into genre folders (70s, 80s, OldCountry, NewCountry, Pop etc.). It also helps the PLAY ALL and RANDOM settings work better. The Zumo appears to randomly grab one file from a genre and moves onto another genre etc. etc. etc. If you have a large imbalance of files between folders then it tends to repeat often.

Here's another tip. Do a PLAY ALL and look to see how many files show up "Playing 147/756" means it has seen 756 total files. You may need to play around with your folder structure to get the Zumo to see/read all your music files.

One last thing. I have two SanDisk 2GB SD cards that the Zumo will not read music from. It will display JPG files, read map files, do anything else from those cards, but it won't read MP3s from them. The cards work fine in absolutely any other device. Any other cards, including some 4GB SanDisk SD cards, work fine in the Zumo. Just those two brand new ones won't behave. Go figure!

Unless I was being very search-impaired, I never found any help for such problems on the Zumo forum.

I don't know that your unit has this problem, but it's possible that it needs to be reset.
I would hope that this is not the problem, as this is a brand new one that Garmin has just sent to me a few days ago to replace my first one that had a sound failure.

it takes about 5 minutes (that's right -- 5 whole minutes) to read the card prior to the map being drawn.
I have let this thing sit for more than 30 minutes with no effect.

If you loaded all the MP3s into a single folder
Currently, I have one folder that contains two folders of MP3s. I'll mess with the folder structure and see what happens.

The card is a "Dane-Elec" made in Japan, 4G SD HC from Buy.com. The 2G that does work is a Polaroid made also in Japan. (If any of that matters)