Zumo 450 or 550 - Headphones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken0350

Reaction score
I am about ready to purchase one of the new Zumo GPS systems and I am trying to decide between the 450 and the 550.

when I read the reviews and some of the threads here I wonder if I should get the 550 with the bluetooth (I have a blue tooth enabled helmet) or get the 450 and hook a set of headphones up. I see these https://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx on another post and wonder what the experience has been? They should be awesome for the $150 asking price.

So, should I go bluetooth and 550 or 450 with a wire?

Ken

The bluetooth on the 550 is only mono so not great from music.

Also, you can er6i's a lot cheaper if you shop around. Check Amazon they usually have them for about $75-80.

Good luck,

JW

I don't know about the 550. I'm running a 450 through a boostaroo amplifier, with helmet speakers. I can set the volume on the 450 at about 70-80% and hear very well up to about 100 mph. And all this on an FZ6 with nowhere near the wind protection of a feej.

At first, I used headphones. Sound was fine, but I got tired of knocking them out of my ear when I put on the helmet, or the time it took to get everything set just right so I could ride. Also, if I ever accidentally hit the wires while riding, it would dislocate one or the other of ear pieces.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, the big advantage for the BT on the Zumo isn't the wireless music, but the integrated cell phone interface.

IMO, the big advantage for the BT on the Zumo isn't the wireless music, but the integrated cell phone interface.
+1. The BT function with my Motorola is just great. I used helmet speakers for years when all I wanted was to hear my V1 audio. Once I got the Zumo and started listening to music (and making phone calls), the helmet speakers just didn't cut it for me any longer. I'm using in-the-ear speakers now and love them. Got mine from Bob at the Earplug Company. https://www.earplugco.com/

Paul Peloquin

Monmouth OR

IBA #333

i own the zumo 550 with the xm antenna. xm keeps cutting out, think i need a better place to mount the antenna, its big.

i tried using in ear bose headphones, turned out being a pain putting helmet on and off. i bought some nice headphones, took them apart

and installed them in the helmet. works much better.

road noise eliminates most of the bass, so try finding loud headphones with good bass. i also had to get an small amplifier that i keep in the tank bag.

I've got the 550 and use it with both Bluetooth (Scale Rider, older version) and with the etymotics. I use the in-ear speakers when I'm listening to music or audio books, something I usually do only if I'm stuck doing a slab run. The rest of the time, just the Bluetooth.

For the Void rally last weekend, I went with just the Bluetooth so that unplugging the headset at bonus stops would be one less thing to worry about. It was great.

Don't forget that some bluetooth devices run out of battery after 4-5 hours. If you ride all day this might be an issue.

Don't forget that some bluetooth devices run out of battery after 4-5 hours. If you ride all day this might be an issue.

Can you hook the Zumo 550 into the bike accessory port and not worry about the battery?

Ken
The Zumo can be powered from the bike. What Keith was referring to was if your using a bluetooth headset to listen to music that most times the battery life is minimal.

JW

I'm using the zumo 550 with a Nolan Bluetooth Helmet. The bluetooth has flawless integration with my sprint LG fusic phone and the GPS voice turn instructions are loud and clear too. The music sounds awful, mono and nolan integrated speakers sit down near your cheeks but I love going wireless.

I don't know about the 550. I'm running a 450 through a boostaroo amplifier, with helmet speakers. I can set the volume on the 450 at about 70-80% and hear very well up to about 100 mph. And all this on an FZ6 with nowhere near the wind protection of a feej.
At first, I used headphones. Sound was fine, but I got tired of knocking them out of my ear when I put on the helmet, or the time it took to get everything set just right so I could ride. Also, if I ever accidentally hit the wires while riding, it would dislocate one or the other of ear pieces.
I had the same problem, until I switched to Shure e2c headphones. The cord wraps over the top of the ear, making everything very secure. The in-ear design cuts way down on ambient noise, and the sound quality is pretty good, even with high-speed wind noise.