Zumo 550 Antenna

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriggerT

Mr. Impatient
Reaction score
So now that I have a Zumo 550 I am trying to get all the additional parts that were not included with the unit together. I have ordered the mounting hardware I like best, but when i started to look into an antenna for the XM radio that is built into the unit, it looks like the only one available is the GXM 30/30A.

I know the antenna's aren't cheap, but spending $275+ on the damn thing is kind of hard to swallow, and then I will still want to get the Skyway mount for the thing.

Are there other antennas that could be used with the Zumo 550? I wouldn't mind getting the weather and traffic, but if the ability to get that additional info is going to cost me hundreds of dollars, I will pass.

The reason it's so expensive is the radio is part of the package, No radio in the Zumo (Just the interface). Oh, & they can get away with it . . . . :mellow: since it's the only one that will work on the Zumo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. My rectum is going to hurt when I have to take it up the A$$ and order the antenna. OUCH!

Poke around here in the classifieds I know there are 'used' and 'new unused' ones for sale.

Going rate is around $120-$160.

You can also try www.froogle.com and search for it, you can buy them new for ~$170?

While using XM on the Zumo isn't as 'feature rich' as a stand alone XM radio, it's certainly simplifies the connections and wiring a bunch.

I highly recommend it.

-MD

Do you have access to all XM channels like you would with a stand alone unit with the Zumo?

The antenna that is being mentioned, is that required to receive the XM signal?

Where is the cheapest place to pick up a Zumo 550?

Poke around here in the classifieds I know there are 'used' and 'new unused' ones for sale.
Going rate is around $120-$160.

You can also try www.froogle.com and search for it, you can buy them new for ~$170?

While using XM on the Zumo isn't as 'feature rich' as a stand alone XM radio, it's certainly simplifies the connections and wiring a bunch.

I highly recommend it.

-MD

Do you have access to all XM channels like you would with a stand alone unit with the Zumo?
Yes, as far as I know, 200 or so of them...

The antenna that is being mentioned, is that required to receive the XM signal?
Yes, out of the box the Zumo doesn't have the anteana... It was included with some of the 27xx models but not the Zumo.

Where is the cheapest place to pick up a Zumo 550?
There are vendors on the forum that are pretty close to what you can find on the net with the added benefit of personal attention.

Google/Froogle is your friend.

My wife bouhgt my Zumo 550 off of Amazon for $629.00. I know the price varies on Amazon, and I have NO IDEA if they are the best place to buy from or not, but I thought the price she paid, with free shipping, was pretty good.

The GXM30 also has the capability to receive weather and nav-traffic alerts.
I haven't tried the traffic, though it was too expensive.

The weather implimentation on the Zumo sucks, you don't get weather radar, just a general 'feel'

It's 72 degrees and partly sunny aty XYZ with pretty icons.

I have better weather on my phone :/