Zumo 550 Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanFJR

Reaction score
Can anyone that has some knowledge of the Zumo 550 advise me if there is any way to tell if a Zumo 550 is a refurbished unit. I purchased an advertised new Zumo 550 and had some diffuculty getting the product from the online site and wanted to know if there is a way to distinguish the two. Also, when the product arrived it was in the original carton box, but the outer box was not sealed in any way. Is this correct? Any information on the subject is appreciated. Thanks, Dean

Last edited by a moderator:
Garmin does not seal their boxes for some reason.

The serial number of the unit is on the outer box. If they match, then at least you have the unit that goes with the box.

If the unit is refurbished, there is a label on the BOX that says the unit is 'Newly Overhauled'.

Note that Garmin refurbished units are warranted the same as new. The only difference is that they don't qualify for the one free map update - you'll find that out when you register it online.

Last edited by a moderator:
The serial number of the unit is on the outer box. If they match, then at least you have the unit that goes with the box.

If the unit is refurbished, there is a label on the BOX that says the unit is 'Newly Overhauled'.

Note that Garmin refurbished units are warranted the same as new. The only difference is that they don't qualify for the one free map update - you'll find that out when you register it online.
I have a refurb zumo 550 and got one free map update. Mine had the refurb sticker on the box too.

I have a refurb zumo 550 and got one free map update. Mine had the refurb sticker on the box too.
Policy on map updates supposedly changed with the advent of their numaps program . . .

I called Garmin and gave the technician the serial number of the unit and he confirmed that it was a new unit that left their facilities on September 8, 2009. :yahoo:

Mine died after 1.5 yrs of ownership. I called Garmin explained the situation and even though I was out of warranty they sent me a refurbed unit, it had a sticker on the screen stating refurb. The problem now it that the battery will only run for about 20min. I am not complaining as they did send me a unit out of warranty, and I rarely use it on battery power.

Mine died after 1.5 yrs of ownership. I called Garmin explained the situation and even though I was out of warranty they sent me a refurbed unit, it had a sticker on the screen stating refurb. The problem now it that the battery will only run for about 20min. I am not complaining as they did send me a unit out of warranty, and I rarely use it on battery power.
NOH units are warranted as new. Get them to send you a new battery.

But that 'sticker on the screen' thing is new . . . did it say 'refurbed' or 'newly overhauled'. If the former, they may have a new type of 'refurbishment' that does not qualify the unit to factory new . . . and your replacement just might not have a warranty.