Zumo 550 vs C 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerskier

Reaction score
I am very close to buying a C550 rather than the Zumo, since it is about $500 less. It seems to me that the only differences are:

- Zumo is waterproof - Can buy a lot of baggies for $500

- More secure mount on Zumo - Get creative with heavy rubber bands, etc. for $500

- Easy to use controls with gloves on Zumo - Maybe I should stop to mess with the settings for $500 (and safety)

Otherwise, I can see no difference in capability, features, etc.

Would love some current user comments, and I did search but did not get the comparison I was hoping for.

There are quite a few differences, between the models - but in the end you can buy several C550s for what a Zumo will cost.

Waterproof

Tracklog

Screen technology

XM support

Glove-friedly touchscreen

Proper bike mount AND includes the vehicle mount if you go with the Zumo 550.

and so on.

You won't be happy if you are on the road, it starts raining and your C550 craps out as a result . . . leaving you lost and in sight of what can only be described as 'Dracula's Castle' on a lightning filled night.

These:

vespa.jpg

are a lot cheaper than these:

020503fjr1300.jpg

but would you want your friends to see you on one? :rolleyes:

For what it's worth I have a Zumo and glad I spent a few extra dollars.

It's only $250 difference in my area so the $500 amount they are hosing you.

The Zumo has bluetooth tech so I have my cell ph and a bluetooth wirerless Scala Q2 hooked up,

works great.

Oh forgot to say that it also has a mp3 player that you can use with a SD card, so no need for XM radio.

Spend a little get a lot back.

For what it's worth I have a Zumo and glad I spent a few extra dollars.It's only $250 difference in my area so the $500 amount they are hosing you.

The Zumo has bluetooth tech so I have my cell ph and a bluetooth wirerless Scala Q2 hooked up,

works great.

Oh forgot to say that it also has a mp3 player that you can use with a SD card, so no need for XM radio.

Spend a little get a lot back.
The C550 has Bluetooth and MP3 and there's a traffic receiver built in (as in included). The big features difference is that there's no XM support.

I like your avatar, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would check out the mapping type also. I find the Garmin uses a good one. Some of the others are not as accurate. Garmin makes upgrades, year after year for a good price.

I did pony-up for the Zumo550 but also have a Garmin Nuvi from Costco that I bought for the car. It has the same map info and works great for about $200.

If that is not cheap enough, check with Verizon Wireless. You may be able to get a phone with the GPS feature as well as internet access. Phone upgrades are inexpensive at contract renew time.

All in all, you will get to the same place using the inexpensive one. For me its all about reliability and ease of use.

Refurbed Garmin Nuvi 350 for $220, Ram Mount $9, plastic baggies $1.99. I'm good.