Zumo 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkerplt

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I just bought a Zumo 550 and mounted with Techmount.

I was able to set the Bluetooth (Blackberry) and loaded MP3 files on a SD card. I use the Eytotomic (not sure on spelling) ear buds to listen to music/GPS commands. What I'm looking for is a stand alone Mic to be able to use the Bluetooth phone. I don't want to go the Autocom,Scala etc. routes at the moment. Any ideas on a small vox mic that I could rig up in my helmet and just plug into the Zumo mount base???

Thanks in advance!!

Garmin has one that has a long cord (very thin wires though). Plugs into the mount. I use it in my car with the phone paired to the Zumo. If memory serves, it was about $15.

Good Morning,
I just bought a Zumo 550 and mounted with Techmount.

I was able to set the Bluetooth (Blackberry) and loaded MP3 files on a SD card. I use the Eytotomic (not sure on spelling) ear buds to listen to music/GPS commands. What I'm looking for is a stand alone Mic to be able to use the Bluetooth phone. I don't want to go the Autocom,Scala etc. routes at the moment. Any ideas on a small vox mic that I could rig up in my helmet and just plug into the Zumo mount base???

Thanks in advance!!

I've tried about 6 or 7 mics, including a throat mic, and had no luck talking while moving. I neded up with a Starcom, and it works great for bluetooth phone comms. My only issue is that it degrades the quality of the music. When I bypass the Starcom unit and listen to music with my BigEars directly plugged in, the music quality is fantastic. When routed thru the Starcom, there is a noticeable degredation of the quality. Having said that, I've always been very sensitive to sound and some people may not even notice the difference.

Kennedy Technology Group (Cellset) has a device the call an AuxAmp clicky that works with common Airrider clicky, Edset clicky, or JM Corp clicky headsets. They're not cheap, but I use one with a Garmin 2820 and have found it to be more than satisfactory.

Radio Shack also sells a pretty small standalone (tie clip on type) mic for about $50, this is what i am contemplating using... The reason i think this slightly more expensive mic might be the better choice is because it's omi-directional which should mean that you could mount it horizontally along the chinbar...Sony® ECM-CS10 Omnidirectional Business Microphone

Amazon has them for $31...

You might also be able to jerry-rig this one at $40

Another possibility might be this one

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help all.

I was thinking about using a mic from one of my old headsets (from flight instructing days) and rigging that up.

I'll let you know what I come up with. Thanks again!