Zumo 550

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RacinRay

Living The Dream
Reaction score
I ripped all my CDs in MP4 format for my ipod nano to save space. Will the ZUMO 550 support this format or will I have to re-rip all my CDs?

The Media Convert web site will convert them, but it's one-at-a-time only. There's some batch processing tools that will do the conversion unattended, but they run around $20-$25. It's probably best to re-rip.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not actually all that bad that you have to convert your media. When you go to MP3 use a lower bit rate (to save space) since you won't be able to hear the difference in your helmet with all the road noise. That way you can fit more music into the limited space available on the Garmin. Keep the iTunes music at higher bit rate for listening in lower ambient noise environments

It's not actually all that bad that you have to convert your media. When you go to MP3 use a lower bit rate (to save space) since you won't be able to hear the difference in your helmet with all the road noise. That way you can fit more music into the limited space available on the Garmin. Keep the iTunes music at higher bit rate for listening in lower ambient noise environments
What's the capacity of the Zumo?

It has an SD slot, so effectively it's 2GB. Of course you can swap cards if you want to increase the playlist size.

[What's the capacity of the Zumo?
If I understand this correctly, 1000 songs. You can use larger SD cards of course. I have a bunch of "songs" on my card, and most of them are quite long...so it is not the actual length of the song but the quanity.

My son told me you can run several songs together (somehow) so the Zumo will only display the 1000 songs, but each particular MP3 might consist of more than one piece of music.

For more detailed questions about the Zumo , I suggest joining the owners forum at:

https://www.zumoforums.com/

They have been hugely helpfull to me for Zumo related stuff...as much as this forum has been helpfull for FJR related questions.

Knifemaker

It has an SD slot, so effectively it's 2GB. Of course you can swap cards if you want to increase the playlist size.
I'm not sure that's accurate. I have a 4GB in mine, and it works fine. There is talk on the Zumo forum of many people using an 8GB card with firmware 3.3 working just fine.

As for the song limit, it isn't actually a limit in capacity as it is in display capacity. Let's say I have 3000 songs somehow crammed on to the SD card. If I ask it to list all songs, it'll only list 1000 (I have also heard of a 500 limit, but that could vary from firmware to firmware). But, if I have 60 albums with 500 songs each, when I pull up each album, all 500 songs will show (and play). Thus, it is a limitation in how many it can display and play at one time, not a limitation in how many it can hold.

Also, on a side note, if you list all songs in one album, it can take the Zumo a while to build it's play list. It's better to have them in several folders IMO.

In itunes you can do a bulk convert from mp4/aac to mp3 as long as the files are not protected. Make your default rip format mp3 under preferences then select all the songs you want to convert right click within the list and you should have an option to convert the selected songs. It will leave the original file and create a new mp3 one in the same location.

Hope that helps.

CaryB