Zumo, Bluetooth, Autocom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehaffydr

Reaction score
I have the new Zumo 665 I paired it with my Iphone via Bluetooth. The Zumo is hardwired to the Autocom.

The problem is that when I am using the phone I can hear the other person fine but they dont hear me ther sound is broken up.

Smitty was over last night and we tried swapping out our zumos then out phoones then our helmets but no matter what we did we still had the same problem which leads us to believe it has something to do with the bluetooth connection between the phone and the Zumo.

Also we communicated using our 2-way radios with the Autocom and it worked great so its not the autocom.

Any Ideas?

I have the new Zumo 665 I paired it with my Iphone via Bluetooth. The Zumo is hardwired to the Autocom.
The problem is that when I am using the phone I can hear the other person fine but they dont hear me ther sound is broken up.

Smitty was over last night and we tried swapping out our zumos then out phoones then our helmets but no matter what we did we still had the same problem which leads us to believe it has something to do with the bluetooth connection between the phone and the Zumo.

Also we communicated using our 2-way radios with the Autocom and it worked great so its not the autocom.

Any Ideas?

THE GARMIN ZUMO 665 BLUETOOOOOOTH SUCKS SHIT THOUGH A DIRTY STRAW!!!

And thats all I have to say about that....

Smitty :angry2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my idea. Call Keith Goudelock @ Tulsa Truck Center: 918-446-2245

He just finished helping me get my Autocom dialed in. I have a Super Pro Automatic, Garmin Nuvi 765 and an iphone. Essentially (as I understand it) what you need is an isolator to remove ground loop interference. The isolator (p/n 2190) is hardwired to the autocom. The nuvi, or zumo is hardwired to the isolator, and has 2 leads. One for the headphone out, and one for the mic in. I then bluetooth the phone to the nuvi. I also have my iphone hardwired to the autocom, and play music from the iphone.

My iphone (and nuvi) are bike powered, since bluetooth is not exactly battery friendly.

I wish I could tell you I have thousands of miles on this setup, but I really just got it hooked up and did some initial testing. With everything hooked up and the bike running, calls were placed and received with good clarity. I was told during a test call that while on bluetooth it sounded a little faint. During the call I switched the iphone from bluetooth to iphone speakers (still hardwired to autocom) and was told that was much better. I have noticed this myself occasionally when people call me with bluetooth handsfree stuff. It may be a bluetooth issue, or I may need to experiment a little with the way everything is located and wires are routed and see if there's any difference, but it was adequate and functional the way it was.

FYI, I have everything located in a tankbag except for the nuvi which is on a Wynpro Rambone ram mount between the tank and triple clamp.

I also got the earbud adaptors for the headsets from Keith and I love those. Keith is a super guy to deal with and really knows his stuff.

Here is my idea. Call Keith Goudelock @ Tulsa Truck Center: 918-446-2245
He just finished helping me get my Autocom dialed in. I have a Super Pro Automatic, Garmin Nuvi 765 and an iphone. Essentially (as I understand it) what you need is an isolator to remove ground loop interference. The isolator (p/n 2190) is hardwired to the autocom. The nuvi, or zumo is hardwired to the isolator, and has 2 leads. One for the headphone out, and one for the mic in. I then bluetooth the phone to the nuvi. I also have my iphone hardwired to the autocom, and play music from the iphone.

My iphone (and nuvi) are bike powered, since bluetooth is not exactly battery friendly.

I wish I could tell you I have thousands of miles on this setup, but I really just got it hooked up and did some initial testing. With everything hooked up and the bike running, calls were placed and received with good clarity. I was told during a test call that while on bluetooth it sounded a little faint. During the call I switched the iphone from bluetooth to iphone speakers (still hardwired to autocom) and was told that was much better. I have noticed this myself occasionally when people call me with bluetooth handsfree stuff. It may be a bluetooth issue, or I may need to experiment a little with the way everything is located and wires are routed and see if there's any difference, but it was adequate and functional the way it was.

FYI, I have everything located in a tankbag except for the nuvi which is on a Wynpro Rambone ram mount between the tank and triple clamp.

I also got the earbud adaptors for the headsets from Keith and I love those. Keith is a super guy to deal with and really knows his stuff.

We both have all the right stuff from Keith, and I have talked to him more times than I can count. I am back to a hard wire phone on my Pro Avi... One of the things that sold me on the 665 was the Bluetooth.

After spending a grand on a GPS and related electrionic hardware, I am still livin on a wire.... "Life is good, bluetooth sucks".

Smitty

Any Ideas?

While I sympathize with the sentiment, can you put is a bit more clearly?

Any Ideas?

While I sympathize with the sentiment, can you put is a bit more clearly?
If he cleared up this statement any more, It would be REALLY bad!

TMI

:****:

I have and continue to struggle with sound quality with my Zumo 550 and old Autocom. I have the Zumo hardwired to my Autocom and BT to my Verizon LG phone. Initially, callers could not understand me at all. I added a Electrical Connection ground loop isolator to my microphone in-line between the GPS and Autocom. This improved sound quality. Callers now often understand me, but it is nothing near the "I can't even tell you're on a bike" quality that Autocom likes to brag about.

jwhite518 has had similiar problems. He's convinced it's a microphone issue. Changing from Starcom to Autocom improved his situation. I've spoken to him while he's riding and I still think there room for lots of improvement. I've never tested a hardwire to determine if this is an issue of the BT or the microphone. I love having my phone in my front Aerostich pocket. In a crash it would be on my person and at any stop I always have the phone; no stopping or remembering to retrieve it. I loath the thought of going hardwire.

With the phone hardwired most say the quality is very clear and good. Hope somewhere, some how the BT gets worked out... I like the idea of my address book showing and caller ID on my Zumo screen.

Smitty

What year is your Autocom? I had the same problem but don't remember what I did, I knoe the earlier AVI models pre 06 need the passenger override disabled to work with the dongle and Zumo.

What year is your Autocom? I had the same problem but don't remember what I did, I knoe the earlier AVI models pre 06 need the passenger override disabled to work with the dongle and Zumo.
We did send the units to Kieth at Tulsa Truck for modifications.

I'm quite sure Kieth will fix ya up... If He can't get it to work, nobody can...

I've gone through the never ending cable search from Auto comm/ Zumo for 4 yrs now. Talk to the Dealer/Rep. "Yup this is the cable you need, what? course we don't have that in stock... We'll ordered it"

Cable comes in, Guess what , doesn't work. "Oh well, I guess you need this cable,,,,What? Of course we don't have that in stock, we'll order it,"

4 yrs later 1 stop at Tulsa Truck centre and about an hour later everything now works..... What??? Of course we have that cable, but it's really not the one you should get.... this cable is better, and in stock,etc,etc,,

This Kieth Goudelock, I don't know what kind of business model He's trying to run here????But it beats the crap outta anything Autocomm has been trying to do.

How is the Zumo connected to the Autocom? you should have Part# 1299 with 2 cables to the Zumo and the 1299 pluged into Aux 2 port on the Autocom. I had the same problem and as I recall I was not usung the right cable somewhere, I have a Pre 06 model.