Zumo Extended Warranty: Is it worth it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotRodZilla

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Reaction score
The title is basically my question. Patch and I are on the verge of ordering refurbished Zumo 660s and there is extended warranty available. A 2-year additional warranty is $66, and a 4-year additional is $90. Those options would extend the warranty out to either 3 or 5 years.

So, I'm asking: How many of you have actually purchased the warranties and used them? How many of you are still using the same GPS unit you used 5 years ago? It seems to me that $90 is not bad for 5 years of free fixes, and from what I read, everyone's GPS seems to need to go back sooner or later anyway, so I wanna know what you more savvy GPS torture testers think.

AND...I'm gonna double post this, just to increase the response ratio since we only have till July 4th to get the rebate.

Modern day compact electronics are very well built and I own alot of 'em. I always avoid the extended warranty and I have NEVER had a problem. I know there will be folks who have had an opposite experience and might even recommend you do this. In answer, let me point out that at Best Buy, they make more money off the extended warranties than they do off the basic electronics sales.

I'd pass, but I'm not risk averse either.

Cheers,

W2

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd pass too. I have had my Zumo 550 over 3 years, and managed to fix anything that came up, including replacing the digitizer screen for under $30. If it totally craps out, I can sent it in along with $150 and get a new/refurbed one. That option may exist with the 660 series too.

I'd buy with a premium credit card that doubles the original warranty - costs nothing if you have the right card.