Zumo question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okmac

Reaction score
I presently have a 276C GPS but am interested in getting a Zumo 550 . The only concern I have is being to set the screen so the top is always North. Does it give you that option ?

Thanks

Mac

Yes.

On the "Map" item in the Tools menu, select Map View. The three choices are "Track Up", "North Up", and 3D.

I don't have it yet but that first "YES" convinced me and it is ordered and will be here next week. Thanks for all your input, I really like to have the map always showing North up. Guess it's a hold over from my old flying days.

Thanks again

Mac

I don't have it yet but that first "YES" convinced me and it is ordered and will be here next week. Thanks for all your input, I really like to have the map always showing North up. Guess it's a hold over from my old flying days.
They ALL do North Up.

And once you've some experience with the unit I suspect you will switch it to Track-Up.

It is very, very intuitive that way.

They ALL do North Up.

And once you've some experience with the unit I suspect you will switch it to Track-Up.

It is very, very intuitive that way.
+1

I started with North up (hold over from my surveyor days) but...

I like it much better pointing the same way I'm riding/driving.

Thanks again

Mac
And here is a great place to learn about your new Zumo:

Zumo Forum

Good luck!

Thanks for the link, I will be spending time reading the manual before I get mine. One more question if I might. How do you suggest wiring up the power cord ? It looks like a person could just add a couple of lugs and connect directly to the battery.

Thanks to all that replied.

Mac

On Zumoforums.com and here, there is a big debate about going directly to the battery or using switched power. I go directly to the battery. I have my battery tender leads hooked up to the battery and I just soldered on a trailer pig tail to the wires of the Zumo (available at any auto parts store). I can then plug directly into the battery tender leads with my Zumo, the battery tender, or my air compressor.

Switched power - that way I can't leave it on accidentally and drain the bike's battery. If I want it to stay on I just have to answer the question during the 30 second powerdown delay.

I have it done the same way with the Nuvi in my car.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Zumo isn't on the bike when I'm not riding it; hence, no chance of draining the battery. It's either in the FJ, or in the hizzouse.

My 550 is wired for power all the time from my Fuzeblock. That way, when I stop for gas or pictures or whatever, I don't have to answer the 'Continue on battery power?' question and it doesn't power down on it's own. But that's just my preference.

Out of curiosity, where did you order yours from? Beware of the on-line "price is too good to be true" sellers.