zumo venting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeezer

Squirrelly Geezer
Reaction score
So, just need to vent for a bit.

I was going to start experimenting with my zumo 550 this weekend. Up to now, I just had it out of the box to play with it a bit and get it registered. When I take it out to pair it up with my phone and bluetooth headset on Thursday -- nada, zip, zilch. The thing is dead. Doesn't matter which power source I hook it up to. The thing hasn't even been on the bike, and it's busted.

Annoying, yes, but not a big problem. I call Garmin's vaunted customer service, and after having me try several things, they agree it's dead and say they'll send me another. Nice guys, I'm just out a shipping fee to return the old one and a little time and some hassle to repack the old one for shipping, reload new software, etc. And I ride over the weekend without it.

So the new one arrives today. I think I'll set the thing up so I can get going with it tomorrow. I hook it up to the computer and try to register the new unit. The serial number on the unit doesn't match the serial number on the little yellow paper with the registration code. Can't register. Yes, I double checked to make sure I didn't mix paper with old unit. Doesn't match that either.

Vaunted customer service is closed for the night. And I'm finally just a little teeny click past annoyed. :evil2:

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. I feel better now. Sort of.

So, just need to vent for a bit.
I was going to start experimenting with my zumo 550 this weekend. Up to now, I just had it out of the box to play with it a bit and get it registered. When I take it out to pair it up with my phone and bluetooth headset on Thursday -- nada, zip, zilch. The thing is dead. Doesn't matter which power source I hook it up to. The thing hasn't even been on the bike, and it's busted.

Annoying, yes, but not a big problem. I call Garmin's vaunted customer service, and after having me try several things, they agree it's dead and say they'll send me another. Nice guys, I'm just out a shipping fee to return the old one and a little time and some hassle to repack the old one for shipping, reload new software, etc. And I ride over the weekend without it.

So the new one arrives today. I think I'll set the thing up so I can get going with it tomorrow. I hook it up to the computer and try to register the new unit. The serial number on the unit doesn't match the serial number on the little yellow paper with the registration code. Can't register. Yes, I double checked to make sure I didn't mix paper with old unit. Doesn't match that either.

Vaunted customer service is closed for the night. And I'm finally just a little teeny click past annoyed. :evil2:

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. I feel better now. Sort of.

been there

done that

sorta makes a person wonder ------ can anything just be simple and work???????????????????

am told good things comes to those who wait

am still waiting

Sorry about the bad luck. The Zumo is my first GPS and I really like it. Make sure to update Mapsource software or the GPS won't talk to your computer.

Thanks to 6mmbr for answering my thread on how to upgrade Mapsource:

Will not work because you are using an old version of Mapsource (I had same problem).

Go to www.garmin.com

select "support"

select "updates & downloads"

select "mapping programs"

select "mapsource"

this will upgrade you to version 6.12.2 which will allow it to send stuff to the Zumo.

(note you're not upgrading City Navigator NT, but the software on you computer that runs the DVD map).

good luck

I would ask to make sure that the "new" unit you received was not a refurbished one.

Lowrance pulled this trick on me with my iWay 500C. I got a DOA and returned it. The first time I called to ask some questions about the software, they asked for my serial number. Long story short, I found out that they replaced my new unit with a refurbished one. I don't think they understood why I wanted a partial refund since I was receiving a REFURB when I paid for a new one. Anyhow...I guess I should just be lucky that I haven't had any more problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're frustrated now, wait until you try and use the MapSource software to plan a trip on your computer. Make sure all animals and small children are out of the house before you start!

If you're frustrated now, wait until you try and use the MapSource software to plan a trip on your computer. Make sure all animals and small children are out of the house before you start!
Already been there and done that. I had another Garmin unit before the zumo. That is truly one clunky program. Finally got used to it, though. Of course, getting used to it doesn't mean it gets easier. It just means you stop throwing things. ;)

Sorry about the bad luck. The Zumo is my first GPS and I really like it. Make sure to update Mapsource software or the GPS won't talk to your computer.Thanks to 6mmbr for answering my thread on how to upgrade Mapsource:

Will not work because you are using an old version of Mapsource (I had same problem).

Go to www.garmin.com

select "support"

select "updates & downloads"

select "mapping programs"

select "mapsource"

this will upgrade you to version 6.12.2 which will allow it to send stuff to the Zumo.

(note you're not upgrading City Navigator NT, but the software on you computer that runs the DVD map).

good luck
Good advice.

Already been there and done that. I had another Garmin unit before the zumo. That is truly one clunky program. Finally got used to it, though. Of course, getting used to it doesn't mean it gets easier. It just means you stop throwing things. ;)
+1

I've been a Mapsource "victim" for nearly 8 years now and it's PAINFUL but it's the only option to get custom routes into these otherwise outstanding units.