Zumo won't turn on

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying junior

Reaction score
What am I doing wrong? I just got this Zumo and it doesn't come on when I click the power button. I tried hooking up the ac adapter, but that seems to have no effect.

It was working great when I tried it last night.

I suspect it's some bonehead thing I'm overlooking, like the security screw that wouldn't let me put the unit in the motorcycle mount until I backed it off with its wierd little screwdriver.

Try pressing and holding the power button down for about 3-4 seconds.

There are numerous homebrew and 1 commercial solution to the security screw. Search the internet for them.

For great info on Zumo's try www.zumoforums.com.

I have one and love it, let me know if you have any other questions.

You can do a 'soft-reset' by holding down both the upper left button and the power button at the same time. This has always cleared up any little problems I've had, including when the unit wouldn't turn on using just the power button.

And, as hecpilot said, Zumo Forums is a great resource on all things Zumo.

I just disconnect the battery and re-connect it when that happens to me. It's happened about 4 times now in 2 years.

A lot of the Zumo 550 units have failed and the mode is that they were fine yesterday, and today they won't turn on. It used to be a big topic for discussion on the Zumo forum. I don't know if it still is. I do know that mine failed, and I had to send it back to them. They replaced the unit and returned it to me in about a week's time. Mine was about 6 months old when it failed, and I've owned the replacement unit for maybe another 7 or 8 months. So far, so good.

FWIW, soft resets, software upgrades, battery replacements, etc. have no effect on getting a seriously failed unit restarted. It just has to go back and get replaced. Sigh.....

Went over to zumo forum, where they may or may not let me join. But in the meantime, I read some FAQ's and learned that if you take out the battery and wait a minute or so, then put it back it, it might work. And mine did, as ponyfool suggests.

Thanks again, gents.

Latest posts