zx-14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotbike dave

Reaction score
under the cloud of power mad skies i bought a zx14 .what a great ride ! really shoulda just road it as was ( probably the best all around configuration.)stock stock the bike would run 176 thru the lites, not to bad :rolleyes:

well now i'm really loving this thing and wonder what a turbo unit would feellike ? well let me tell ya what !!!!!!!!! big damn excitement , 10.5 k shiftpoint with 19 tooth frt / ext swing arm clutch sys elec boost control over 200 mph with my fat old slow ass in the saddle ! still not to bad :rolleyes:

well now i'm wondering if i go with built motor and up boost to26 psi what that will be like :dribble: let ya know soon !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
...well now i'm really loving this thing and wonder what a turbo unit would feellike...boost control over 200 mph... well now i'm wondering...boost to26 psi what that will be like...
One or more of my sig line graphics may apply to your ambitions.

Wow,

I just got a ZX14 three weeks ago and am enjoying it stock. I just walked in the door from a 2 hour jaunt on the bike.

I hope I don't catch the same bug that bit you. Sounds like an expensive one. But fun.

Now, I'm off for a comparo ride on the FJR 2 up with my daughter - we'll take the long way to dinner.

under the cloud of power mad skies i bought a zx14 .what a great ride ! really shoulda just road it as was ( probably the best all around configuration.)stock stock the bike would run 176 thru the lites, not to bad :rolleyes: well now i'm really loving this thing and wonder what a turbo unit would feellike ? well let me tell ya what !!!!!!!!! big damn excitement , 10.5 k shiftpoint with 19 tooth frt / ext swing arm clutch sys elec boost control over 200 mph with my fat old slow ass in the saddle ! still not to bad :rolleyes:

well now i'm wondering if i go with built motor and up boost to26 psi what that will be like :dribble: let ya know soon !!!!!!!!!!
Not meaning to be a smartie here.......but.......a Charles Bronson quote comes to mind.

"Do you believe in Jesus Christ, cuase' you're about to meet him!"

Have fun but please keep the rubber side down! I've been to 100-110 a couple of times, but 200! Can't imagine it!

Good luck and good health to you.

Speed is addicting. I came to an FJR from a Busa. I miss the Busa sometimes, but the FJR keeps me out of trouble....Id have both if I could afford it.

Speed is addicting. I came to an FJR from a Busa. I miss the Busa sometimes, but the FJR keeps me out of trouble....Id have both if I could afford it.
That's why I can't commute to work on the feej, my old Concours has enough, but not TOO much.Top gear roll-on power makes traffic slaloming just too damn easy. :dribble:

under the cloud of power mad skies i bought a zx14 .what a great ride ! really shoulda just road it as was ( probably the best all around configuration.)stock stock the bike would run 176 thru the lites, not to bad :rolleyes: well now i'm really loving this thing and wonder what a turbo unit would feellike ? well let me tell ya what !!!!!!!!! big damn excitement , 10.5 k shiftpoint with 19 tooth frt / ext swing arm clutch sys elec boost control over 200 mph with my fat old slow ass in the saddle ! still not to bad :rolleyes:

Not meaning to be a smartie here.......but.......a Charles Bronson quote comes to mind.

"Do you believe in Jesus Christ, cuase' you're about to meet him!"

Have fun but please keep the rubber side down! I've been to 100-110 a couple of times, but 200! Can't imagine it!

Good luck and good health to you.
He did this on a drag strip 'thru the lites". At The Texas Mile event I went to, many ZX14s and Busas went over 200. The top speed on a bike was 255. It was a naked Busa. (That's gotta be one windy ride.) I probably watched 200 runs over 170mph. It can be done safely with the right conditions.

Dave, show us pictures of your 14. And please regale us with the details of your performance mods.
texan: hoping to see you at wfo ----- most details are best discussed in pvt , will tell you the turbo kit is from MR. TURBO( terry is super guy easy to work with and always willing to help !)running 9 lbs now approx 290 hp.

have only done a few launches since moving out here to wyoming, hope to get time to race a bit before season over. We have just scratched the surface of bikes potential-----( this is stage one kit ) / anyway hope to talk in detail when i see ya there

The guy i bought my FJR from had the following in His driveway when i pulled up:

A busa

The FJR (bought in Nov. 02)

TWO corvette Z06's

A go fast boatboat (he lived on Lake St. Clair)

Speed is definitely addicting, and expensive.

The ZX-14 has a lot of potential. Hyperbike in Frederick MD holds (or held) the fastest ZX non-turbo (nitrous) and fastest turbo:

Hyperbike Turbo ZX-14

Busa is still King, but Greg and friends at Hyperbike are turning some heads.

The 14 and '08 and later 'Busa with full exhaust, PCIII and flies removed on the 14 have the same 1/4 mile potential. The difference being the 'Busa has a couple of reliability issues while the 14 is bullet proof. The 14 is also probably the easiest of all fast bikes to keep the front end down with stock swing arm.

I've owned 62 bikes and driven many more. The 14 is a jewel in every way it operates. A truly amazing piece of machinery. The Concours 14 seat is built on the same pan and fits right on. Buell pegs and bar risers help but I will probably install a tubular bar on the triple clamp this winter.

027.jpg

Very nice, I installed a Zero Gravity touring screen. Wasn't sure if the buel pegs would scrape on the twisties. I will be installing the PCV with autotune and full exausts next month, but still not convinced I should remove the secondary B's since I am certainly a highway flyer.

You should leave the flies alone... if you own an '08-'09.

It does absolutely nothing, unless you drop the screws! Then you're really in for it. For a lot of good info, check out the ZX-14 forums. For really good technical stuff, check out www.zx14ninjaforum.com. Those guys KNOW their stuff.

Here's my little toy. Dyno's 199-201 hp at the rear wheel. Sometimes, keeping the front wheel down IS a chore.... sometimes! :p

FJRZX-143-26-2009004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice, I installed a Zero Gravity touring screen. Wasn't sure if the buel pegs would scrape on the twisties. I will be installing the PCV with autotune and full exausts next month, but still not convinced I should remove the secondary B's since I am certainly a highway flyer.
I also have the tallest Zero Gravity screen but I put the Double Bubble back on because it's actually less noise. The main wind force on the tallest screen hit me right in the middle of the face shield.

I don't know what year you have. On the 06's and 07's most consider it a huge help to remove the flies if for no other reason than it makes it easier to ride with a flatter torque curve. No more big dip in the low end. Can't say on the later models since I don't own one.

The Buell pegs don't scrape for me but I haven't taken them to the limit either.

.............in the 06's and 07's most consider it a huge help to remove the flies if for no other reason than it makes it easier to ride with a flatter torque curve. No more big dip in the low end. Can't say on the later models since I don't own one./quote]
Correct, Sir. '06-'07.

The '08-'09's are different beasts.... slightly!