The fjr is pretty quick

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big ears

Reaction score
:yahoo: While reading a elite automobile magazine in my eye doctors office where I had cadillac surgery there was an article on the new hot sport cars. The article gave the 0 to 62 speeds plus the quarater mile speeds for some of the most expensive Italian, German, Japanese, and American hot cars. The fjr is as fast as the quickest and faster than most according to what I have read of posted times on fjrs. Some of ther cars were more than 200,000 and probably not much more comfortable except maybe in the rain. Just thought this was interesting.

Because of the power to weight ratio, bikes tend to win in the straights, but with highly skilled rider/driver, the sportiest cars tend to do better in the corners even compared to the sportiest bikes.

That guy on the bike didn't even look like he was trying...
Gunny. Looked like he was out for a leisurely ride. Wasn't tucked in very well on many corners. One thing a bike has a car doesn't is lean angle.

You have many classes of cars and bikes, saying what is equivalent is hard at best. Maybe have equal weight to power ratio or close to it etc. I know the Superbike pros have times around the AMA track at Fontana in the 1:20's. How fast can a car cover that same track? The 20 turn 2.3 mile AMA track has tighter turns, would create fits for the car. Now on a more open track for speed how would a car do? Many variables here. The bike is more fun too. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I know a good sport car can even beat me in the curves but I thought the short distance quickness of a bike like the fjr was a lot of go for the money. Top end speeds are hard to meet except maybe on a busa.

The host of Top Gear hates bikes with a passion. the test was prob weighted, but who knows for certain?

The article gave the 0 to 62 speeds plus the quarater mile speeds for some of the most expensive Italian, German, Japanese, and American hot cars. The fjr is as fast as the quickest and faster than most according to what I have read of posted times on fjrs.
I have a buddy who has a Ferrari F430 and even he is impressed with the speed of my FJR in 0-60 times. :)

According to the July Cycle World the Ducati 1098 tops out at 163. A 1098R, 1200cc, has better numbers that they quoted. Not sure which one they actually had in the test.

The FJR is in the ball park with the 1098.

QUOTE (Big-B @ Jul 12 2008, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
According to the July Cycle World the Ducati 1098 tops out at 163. A 1098R, 1200cc, has better numbers that they quoted. Not sure which one they actually had in the test.
The FJR is in the ball park with the 1098.
The weight is what kills the FJR. Its a great 650 pound bike... but it is still a 650 pound bike.

Still most of those cars would easily kick your butt on the track, though.
Car vs. Motorcycle (Top Gear)
Brit boy must have left his knee pucks at home cause he damn sure never came close to touching them. Pitty he played the setup for car guy. The chicane was a complete sell out.
Stuff I've seen with grand prix level bikes, riders, cars, and drivers, has the bikes taking the straights just on sheer power to weight ratio, and then the cars catching up in the corners based on the sheer enhanced stability of 4 wheels over 2. Someone said above that the fact that a bike can lean is an advantage over a car. Actually, if you didn't lean the bike, you would be screwed quickly. The car doesn't need to lean. It just needs to control the slide.

Brit boy must have left his knee pucks at home cause he damn sure never came close to touching them. Pitty he played the setup for car guy. The chicane was a complete sell out.

Looked like WWE wrestling.
I dunno. . .I think if I were on a track with a car trying to compete for space I'd probably be paying a bit more attention to the fact I could get run over and less attention to focusing on proper cornering technique. I thought it was a pretty good comparison. Just take it with a grain of salt, YMMV, etc. etc.

Looked like WWE wrestling.
I dunno. . .I think if I were on a track with a car trying to compete for space I'd probably be paying a bit more attention to the fact I could get run over and less attention to focusing on proper cornering technique. I thought it was a pretty good comparison. Just take it with a grain of salt, YMMV, etc. etc.
Sane testing of this stuff is against the clock, not axle to axle. I didn't look at the videos in this thread because I've seen the comparos before. Sigh....