Barely used FJR-A with about 2k miles... what should I look for?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymech

Reaction score
So, I just got myself a barely used 08 FJR-A - with slightly less than 2k miles on the clock. No service history etc as this was a traded in vehicle at a car dealership.

What should I watch out for? What are the things I should look for when I take delivery of the vehicle? Also, with no history to it, what are the things I should do to it first?

Carfax is a joke... I owned a car once that was in a bad front end collision (apparently - found out after I bought it) and the carfax history didnt tell me anything... also, it showed a mileage increase of 1 mile every 2 years for the last 8 years... enough proof that the odo was probably doctored... anyway, dont mind doing it for the FJR - as long as you guys recommend it. Anything else I should watch out for?

thanks in advance!!

My new signature:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey CONGRATS!!! You finally got it. :yahoo:

Don't get too paranoid looking at what might or might not be issues, just RIDE! ;)

Enjoy your new toy. :D

Contact a Yamaha dealer and have them run the VIN to see if the ignition recall has been done. Have them check on the in-service date also. You might get lucky and find that it is still in warranty. If it is, you can buy a YES contract from D&H.

Mike

Way to go!

Wow; car dealership...that's different.

Enjoy and ride, 2k miles- 08. It needs a caring a passionate rider to put some miles on it.

Apart from all the obvious stuff, just look the bike over well. Is it all scuffed up...what do the tires look like? With only 2000 miles on the clock, it had better look showroom fresh. If not, start asking hard questions and have a dealer check it out for you. Good luck, you'll never look back.

--G

I would imagine that the PO would have had to work pretty hard to mess it up too bad in the first 2000 miles. Do what the others have suggested about changing the oil, checking the recalls and possbily see if you can still get the extended warranty if you are so inclined. Otherwise just ride it and enjoy!

Uhmmm... mine is barely used and 30 minutes away from you. 13 hours is insane when they are for sale in your neighborhood. You will not find one nicer than mine, I promise you that. If you want a few extras mine already has suspension on it that blows the stock stuff away, OEM heated grips and a Cee Baileys screen+stock. And new Pilot Road 2s...

How much is the guy asking?

If you want to talk call 404-931-6468

>>>and how about if you have any issues I'm right down the street...

Uhmmm... mine is barely used and 30 minutes away from you. 13 hours is insane when they are for sale in your neighborhood. You will not find one nicer than mine, I promise you that. If you want a few extras mine already has suspension on it that blows the stock stuff away, OEM heated grips and a Cee Baileys screen+stock. And new Pilot Road 2s...

Thanks for the offer green!

Unfortunately, this one will be less expensive by a few thousands - even if you return your bike to stock... also, just like yours, this one also is spotless with only less than 2k miles.

I am new to the FJR... and so I cannot say about the stock ride - yet.

The killer was the 8.5 grand this one would cost me...

Unfortunately, this one will be less expensive by a few thousands - even if you return your bike to stock... also, just like yours, this one also is spotless with only less than 2k miles.

Ah I understand but please check your math again on the "few thousands"...

I am asking $9500 obo in stock trim. Sounds like about $1k off to me.

And what are your travel expenses to get it? 13hours one way or round trip?

Either way that is a great find you got there. I would not let mine go for $8500. No way.

Does sound a bit fishy to me though, traded in to a used car dealer? I'm guessing he bought this at a dealer's auction. Probably a REPO or could have even been a clear title with some damage that he has repaired. Here is a tell tell sign, check the state of the title. More than likely if it is a different state than where you are going it was picked up at an auction. Even if it was the same state it still could be auction bought. Be careful.

Just trying to help.

Ah I understand but please check your math again on the "few thousands"...

I am asking $9500 obo in stock trim. Sounds like about $1k off to me.

And what are your travel expenses to get it? 13hours one way or round trip?

Either way that is a great find you got there. I would not let mine go for $8500. No way.

Does sound a bit fishy to me though, traded in to a used car dealer? I'm guessing he bought this at a dealer's auction. Probably a REPO or could have even been a clear title with some damage that he has repaired. Here is a tell tell sign, check the state of the title. More than likely if it is a different state than where you are going it was picked up at an auction.

Just trying to help.
thanks for the tip... I have a VIN number for the vehicle... is there anything I can do with it before I buy it?

<edit> I just found out that it is titled in the same state that it is getting sold in and is not a repo or a auction vehicle.

Once again, with the VIN, can i do anything

thanks again for your help!!

thanks for the tip... I have a VIN number for the vehicle... is there anything I can do with it before I buy it?thanks again for your help!!
'ibleedgreen' appears to be sincerely trying to help (as is the Forum, in general -- usually ;) ).

After your experience with 'Velocity', one would think you'd be a little skeptical about a deal that may sound a little 'too good'...? :unsure:

The used vehicle market can be a real "snake pit".... let the buyer beware. :(

As to travel to pick up a bike: when I bought my FJR, my dealer offered it to me at $500 above the cheapest price 1000 miles away -- (besides some other reasons...) I really couldn't justify the 1000 mile trip for $500 (didn't pencil-out)... :rolleyes: