My Fuel Guage Flashes Me

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breathless

Reaction score
Replaced my fuel pump a while ago just before a trip (please don't ask how the latching fuel line connector was broken or which dumbass broke it); the new one works fine. About a thousand miles into my trip the gauge began to malfunction. Intermittently after shutoff and restart the entire fuel portion of the multi-display would flash eight times, pause and then repeat. Initially it would self-resolve after a while, but over time the delay got longer. By the time I was 4000 miles into my trip the flashing was endless. I haven't seen a working guage for a month now.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions as the fuel pumps are obscenely expensive and so are not suitable to the swap-it-out-and-see-if-that'll-fix-it school of diagnostics.

Thanks

Replaced my fuel pump a while ago just before a trip (please don't ask how the latching fuel line connector was broken or which dumbass broke it); the new one works fine. About a thousand miles into my trip the gauge began to malfunction. Intermittently after shutoff and restart the entire fuel portion of the multi-display would flash eight times, pause and then repeat. Initially it would self-resolve after a while, but over time the delay got longer. By the time I was 4000 miles into my trip the flashing was endless. I haven't seen a working guage for a month now.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions as the fuel pumps are obscenely expensive and so are not suitable to the swap-it-out-and-see-if-that'll-fix-it school of diagnostics.

Thanks
Quote: "This fuel meter is equipped with a self-diagnosis system. If the electrical circuit is defective, all the display segments will start flashing. If this occurs, check the electrical circuit".

Suggest you make sure the fuel sender connection under the tank is good.

Sheesh! I scoured the service manual and never thought to look at the user manual.

Thanks
The message is in both, the Owner's Manual says "If this occurs, have a Yamaha dealer check the electrical circuit", my quote was from the Workshop Manual (around page 1-27 in the 2006-2007 one). Not easy to find!

Let's hope your problem is no more difficult to locate
tongue.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be a fault with the fuel sender part of the pump assembly. It is possible and not too difficult to take the pump assembly to bits and swap across the fuel sender from you old pump.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts