Handgrip Rubber Degrading

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed any degradation of the rubber on handgrips?  I never noticed it on my '07 but after 185,000 miles there was some wear.  On my 2011, I am noticing that the rubber on the surface of the grips (especially clutch side) is a bit sticky and apparently wearing more than the other side.  I have had the bike for almost two years and I have never put anything on the grips (or gloves) that would be likely to damage them.  Don't know about the previous owner.  They aren't terrible at this point but I was wondering if anyone had noticed this.  Bike has about 70,000 miles and lives indoors.  They are heated grips so I don't want to replace them.  I suppose I could use a thin rubber wrap if they get worse.  I don't want to use something like Grip Puppies.

Never heard of this. Are they the OEM grips, or did the previous owner put on after-market heated grips? 
One suggestion, on my Trophy, I made my own heated grips, finished off with some (relatively large diameter) heat-shrink tubing. This should keep any stickiness at bay. 
Some pictures here that show them (full description of my operation here).

They are definitely OEM heated grips. The stickiness isn't bad but I did notice it while washing the bike yesterday. I probably won't do anything about it unless it gets worse. I am guessing that the original owner put something on them that slowly caused the damage. Perhaps some dressing compound of some sort.  

I swapped my OEM grips out almost immediately. I went with a "touriing foam" grip that I'd used on 2 of my last 3 Wings. During the '03 IBR they disintegrated out from under me so I had to get a pair of grips at the Maine checkpoint. All they had were these silly things that were horrible and had no padding at all.

As soon as I got home, I got a set of BMW Sport Grips and haven't used anything else since (Part Nos 32721458395 & 32721458396). For heat, I'd use one of the after market sets of Dual Star under-grip heating elements.

grips.JPG

sport-grip.jpg

I had the same thing happen with the Hot grips I had on my 04. Here's what their web site says.....

Sticky, gummy grips that wear quickly and leave black residue on your gloves and hands. By riding with leather gloves that have been treated with a leather preservative, the grips are constantly getting that preservative pressed and rubbed into them under high temperature, changing the chemical makeup of the grip.

The MINK-OIL treatment of your leather glove palms can ruin the grips. One fellow from California admitted using a hair dryer to melt the mink oil paste into his leather gloves to treat them. That would be MANY times worse than getting an external petroleum based spray on the grips (which we discuss below), because whenever you ride with those treated glove palms the grips are being exposed to hour upon hour of a modifier-substance that is being pressed and twisted with elevated temperature into the grip outer surface...causing the oil migration into the grip. Oils are used as a polymer-modifier in the raw material stage of producing the polymer pellets, long before we get the resin pellets and injection mold the grips.

The "rheology of the grip surface" has changed permanently and NO treatment can reverse the process. When you attempt to solve the problem by exposing the grips to yet more petroleum based treatments, you just make it worse. You might sprinkle baby talc powder on them (and your glove palms) to reduce the tackiness but I don't know how long that would be effective before additional application is needed. Replacement of the grips will not solve the problem, since it is exposure to the MINK-OIL in the leather glove palms that is the cause. The only way to prevent it would be to cover the grips when new with anything that is either a natural rubber, a PVC (vinyl), or some other polymer that is not attacked by leather preservative. If you pre-wrap the new grips in tennis racket rubber wrap, and the tape wears out, that is cheap to replace.

I say BS, I never used mink oil on my gloves.   I'm hoping my Oxford heated grips on 2 bikes doesn't do this.

It isn't terrible at this point.  I like the OEM heated grips and won't change to something else. I will find something to cover them that doesn't impede heat transfer.

The MINK-OIL treatment of your leather glove palms can ruin the grips.
I have used Nikwax waterproofing wax on my gloves but not much and not often - never bothered the grips on my '07.  Quite possible that the previous owner used mink oil or something similar.  Anyway, I thought I would toss it out there to see if others had this issue.

I use grip buddies. I am rough on grips and peg rubber. I usually have to replace my grip covers once or twice a year. Grips would never make it through my ownership of a bike, and I don’t want to pay for new Yamaha heated grips. I replace my peg rubber at around 50,000 miles. 

Wow.  What do you do to them?  I put 185,000 miles on my '07 and sold it with the original unheated grips still on it.  Not badly worn.  Original rubber on the pegs and changed the shifter rubber once at 130,000 miles or so.

Something to try...

Re-Grip PN44-7 Replacement Handle Grip for Hand and Garden Tools

I purchased my 2005 FJR last September and it has the same issue. It has heated grips, but not OEM. I notice the tacky texture more when the heat is turned on. I just installed Grip Puppies a few weeks ago and I am not sure that I am going to like them. The circumference is much bigger. I decided to try them out on a few rides. I can cut them off if I don’t like them.

I have 2 other bikes in the garage with heated grips and never had this problem before.

By the way, I am from Fredericton too. I now live in Newfoundland and get over your way on bike trips a couple of times each year.

I might consider the Grip Puppies but I would rather not increase the grip diameter a lot or impede heat transfer.  If these get worse,  I might try some sort of wrap used on tennis racquets or golf clubs.  Not quite bad enough to do anything yet.  

If you are thinking or Grip Puppies, you might consider instead "Grip Buddies"  (https://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/)  i have used both, and like these much better.

They are advertised as "Heated Grip Compatible."   They also are easy on-and-off because they wrap around with velcro, the neoprene feels much better to me that the foam, and they last a lot longer, too!  Albeit they do cost $25 instead of $15.

I would have a look at these.  I don't want a fat grip - I would have to see how thick they are. Like the fact that they are waterproof. 

Edit:  I see they have a "Lites" version made from a thinner neoprene.

The regular ones make the grip about as fat as the Grip Puppies - pretty fat.  I have not tried the "Lites."  Be curious to know how much smaller they are.

Latest posts