A Bad Blue-ridge Parkway Ride.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senecahome

Reaction score
This is a dictated post by my son.

Hey guys this is a difficult post but thought you might want to know.

Saturday April 27 I was on a group ride headed North on the Blueridge parkway in VA. At milepost 101 on a sweeping right hand turn I continued straight across the southbound lane and left the parkway going down the mountain side. Since I remember nothing I assume I blacked out for a while. The rider in front of me luckily saw me in his mirrors when I went off the road and was able to get EMS onsite within 15 min.

To retrieve the bike they had to use a large 60 ton rotating wrecker with a boom and spool out over 150ft of cable to be able to hook up.

Fortunately where I exited the road the park service had done some clear cutting down the hillside and I apparently missed any large stumps. EMS spent about an hour pulling me off the mountainside then flew me to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital where I've been recovering in the Intensive Care Unit.

Injuries include torn colon, fractured sternum, scapula, clavicle, ribs, spine and abdominal trauma. Fortunately the spine injuries are treatable with PT but they had to remove approximately 3/4 of the colon.

Bike injuries... totaled. My son is working with insurance to hopefully get access to the bike. If he's able to we hope to get the bike back and there will likely be a parts list posted later.

Looks like I'll be stuck here another week or two maybe more.

Glen
(this is cross posted on other forums)

Saturday April 27 I was on a group ride headed North on the Blueridge parkway in VA. At milepost 101 on a sweeping right hand turn I continued straight across the southbound lane and left the parkway going down the mountain side. Since I remember nothing I assume I blacked out for a while. The rider in front of me luckily saw me in his mirrors when I went off the road and was able to get EMS onsite within 15 min.

To retrieve the bike they had to use a large 60 ton rotating wrecker with a boom and spool out over 150ft of cable to be able to hook up.

Fortunately where I exited the road the park service had done some clear cutting down the hillside and I apparently missed any large stumps. EMS spent about an hour pulling me off the mountainside then flew me to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital where I've been recovering in the Intensive Care Unit.

Injuries include torn colon, fractured sternum, scapula, clavicle, ribs, spine and abdominal trauma. Fortunately the spine injuries are treatable with PT but they had to remove approximately 3/4 of the colon.

Bike injuries... totaled. My son is working with insurance to hopefully get access to the bike. If he's able to we hope to get the bike back and there will likely be a parts list posted later.

Glen
I am praying for your recovery. Please keep us updated.

Glen
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for you.

Wishing you a speedy recovery! Don't try too hard to remember - it may come back over time or it may never come back. A friend of mine was in a major motorcycle crash last summer and he still doesn't remember a thing. He remembers riding down the highway then waking up in hospital.

My thoughts go out to you Glen.
Sounds like you took a real bashing from your injury list.
The bike is not important at present, just get your body and mind back on track to fitness again.
Best wishes, John (UK)

Last edited:

Wow…. Glen, though not as extensively, I was seriously injured from a MC crash just eight months ago. Now, I’m doing great and planning my next adventure and so will you! At the time it felt life changing, but now it’s more like just a bad dream.
Hang in there!

Thank goodness for modern medicine. I was also in a terrible crash and recovered to live a normal life. The nurse's advice: keep a "POSITIVE ATTITUDE" that alone, makes a huge difference. (More difficult than it sounds) Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Pete-o