curious starting problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgrenon

Reaction score
Okay so here is my situation...

For the last couple days I have had my bike apart wiring up a centech fused power strip to suppy power to a few new goodies. I had the tank propped up, I disconnected and reconnected the battery, I pulled the pan out from under the seat, I also disconnected and then reconnected the CPU. After getting her all buttoned up last night It would not fire up. Well it did fire for about 1 nano second, now it will just turn over. Plenty of fuel, plenty of voltage from the battery, (I keep a battery tender hooked up), and checked all fuses. Tonight I will change the spark plugs to see if that changes anything. Does anyone have any ideas. It seems too strange a coincidence that my plugs fouled the same day I monkey around with everything.....

thanks in advance.

There are a number of things that could have gone wrong here. Primary suspects would be the tip-over sensor installed upside down or the ECU connectors need to be reseated.

A good place to start is to check the diAG screen for any error codes.

Try holding the throttle wide open while your cranking it and see if it starts. The same thing happened to me and that seemed to work.

Okay guys I got an error code 17 in the lower right corner when doing the diagnostic test, anybody know what 17 is??? :unsure:

While you get your answer (free bump for you :), may I ask you how do you invoke the diagnostic test? Or is it just putting the screen in DiAG?

I'm asking because I was playing with the DiAG screen hoping to find other things to screw around with, but nothing; just the CO (it toggles between CO and DiAG). So the error codes pop up on the left lower corner? The CO levels popped up on the right lower corner. Wonder that the other 2 top corners are used for??? Thanks man.

JC

well the number 17 popped up in the lower right corner i am thinking that is a fault code of some sort, not the co reading....don't know yet, boy this is more complicatd than my 2-stroke.....

well the number 17 popped up in the lower right corner i am thinking that is a fault code of some sort, not the co reading....don't know yet, boy this is more complicatd than my 2-stroke.....
Okay, I get it now. So you have DiAG and the 17, correct? That'd be a fault code indeed. Guess it can be erased by pressing both buttons at the same time, but don't listen to me; just want to know.

For the CO, you need to press select to toggle to that screen, then you'd push both buttons for a few seconds until '01' pops in there, etc, etc.

well just opened my srvice manual....there is no error code 17.... i'll keep u guys posted...gggggrrrrr.....

it actually says d1:01

17 "down here"

I'm due for a plug change anyway, i'll check back and let you guys know how it goes....

From the "06-07, Bin-O-Facts" page:

Diagnostic Mode(Appears to be the same for '03 - '05)

To enter Diagnostic Mode: Have the key turned off (kill switch on) and press the Select and Reset together. Turn the key to on and hold the buttons for about 8 seconds. A screen will apear that reads "d1 AG". release the buttons.

(so far, same as prior models)

Use the "SELECT" select "Co" adjustment or the diagnostic mode "d1 AG". Press Select and Reset for 2 seconds. "d:01" should appear on the clock if you did everything right.

Press "SELECT" for the next code, Press "RESET" for the previous code.

Codes go from d:01 to d:70 -- go buy a manual for the codes.

Note: Lean Angle Sensor (Overturned Motorcycle) Fault code: 30

Scroll through the diagnostic codes to:

61 (the history of fault codes). If you see a 0 at the bottom right then there are no trouble codes. However if you see a number 30 that is the code for an over turned motorcycle. If you have the code 30 and want to erase it. Press the select button and go to number 62 (erase history code). Then turn the kill switch off, then back on again. This will erase this and any other codes stored in the memory. Then turn the key off to go back to normal operations. If you have any more codes I suggest you order the big book from FJR Goodies to problem solve or take it to your dealer.
Let us know what you find. I'm betting that you turned the key on and off several times and the throttle was partly opened or turned while the key was "on". This has caused the bikes to "flood" in the past.

okay changed plugs out. plugs looked okay... a little moist. turned it over a few times . nothing. turned it over a couple more times, fired for hald a second, then died and then a puff of white smoke out the tail pipes. I'm lost the bike has sat for about three weeks, maybe bad fuel....but i've never had that problem before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My '05 did something similar after I'd done some "farkle additions" and it had set for a week or so. I was in a hurry (I was the organizer for a 3-day weekend ride in NorCal), so I changed out the plugs, held the throttle WFO and it started and ran poorly for a few minutes, then cleared itself and has been fine every since. There must have been some residual raw gasoline in the intake tracts????? I also remember starting the bike and then turning it off. For some reason this is "Bad Ju-Ju" for the FJR. It needs to be run through the warmup cycle.

That's why I offered the opinion in my first post that I'm suggesting it's badly flooded. Some have reported having their bikes "towed" by another bike until it started (by compression).

Last edited by a moderator:
My 05 sat for a month in the garage while I was out of town. I then started it as I left for work in the morning and let it run less than a minute. Just wanted to make certain it would start so I could ride afterwork. Well after work it would do everything but start. It turned over like crazy. I tried everything then gave up for the evening. I posted the issue on the forum and was told you should never ever start the fjr without letting it get to 2 bars before turning it off.

Solution was to hold the throttle wide open and crank. It took several tries and then fired. It ran rough for a few minuted then all was well.

I don't start it anymore without letting it get to temperature.

Allright I just siphoned all tthe pld gas out and added fresh gas.......no dice. cycled key three times WOT no dice......

:yahoo: :yahoo:

Well It just started up ran alittle rough then smoothed up! I would guess it was bad gas...... Thanks for the ideas guys!

Can you smell raw gas? Does the exhaust smell like raw gas? I am sticking with my forst opinion....the bike is in a flooded state. There is a glitch in the ECU that if the bike is not brought up to temperature before turning it off, the computer keeps the gas flowing as if its a cold start. The bike doesn't know its flooded, but it is.

What I would do:

Lift the tank and check for any pinched hoses or loose electrical connections. Pull the plugs and clean them with something (alcohol or carb cleaner) that will evaporate the gasoline off the electrodes and porcelain. Let the cylinders "air out". Reinstall the plugs, turn on the ignition and hold the throttle WFO and start the bike. It will likely not start quickly or cleanly, but when it starts, keep the throttle WFO untill it "clears its throat", then let it settle down to fast idle and come up to temperature.

(BTW: Cycling the key makes matters worse as it repressurizes the fuel system and since the ECU is still in "cold start mode" it keeps adding more gas.)

That's what I did....that's what FJR1300Mark did, that's what Bluestreek has done, that's what Radman has done, that's what others have done.......after suffering through the same issue.

There isn't any other way to encourage you than to tell you it has happened before and this is what the end solution has been.

Last edited by a moderator: