Gen 3 , have to hit the starter button two or three times before bike starts. Use to start first click every time.?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booniefjr1300450300

Reaction score
GEN three with 50,000 miles. New issue is I have to hit the starter button 2 or times before the motor fires up and runs other than that the bike seems to run great

Assuming starter spins freely all the times you press it, fuel been in the tank for a while? Pretty warm since the last time you fueled up?

It could be the switch from winter fuel to summer formulation that isn't as volatile. I know AZ is one of the states that does this.

Last edited:
Yes what Harper said. If it cranks but does not fire I'd say battery going bye bye. If pressing the button does nothing for a time or two, loosen the screws holding the switch housing together, pry it apart a hair and spray the insides with something like ACF-50 or De-Oxit. Don't use WD40, it's a water displacer not meant for electronics.

Yes what Harper said. If it cranks but does not fire I'd say battery going bye bye. If pressing the button does nothing for a time or two, loosen the screws holding the switch housing together, pry it apart a hair and spray the insides with something like ACF-50 or De-Oxit. Don't use WD40, it's a water displacer not meant for electronics.
Actually, what happens is the motor spins over quickly and it fires and then stalls do this two or three times and it idles and runs fine

What Whooshka said in post # 6.

I had the same problem on my 2007A. It started with the same symptom that got progressively worse over last summer until the bike would not even start, eventually showing fault code 12. That sent me down a rabbit hole. It turned out that I needed new spark plugs, which are recommended to be replaced every 2 years. I had let them go for 4 years.

When did you last replace the spark plugs?

Could also be fuel pressure regulator or injectors. If the regulator is seeping, fuel pressure may be low in the line. If the injectors are seeping fuel pressure will be low AND there will be raw fuel sitting in the intake. Are you hitting the button as soon as you turn the key? Try waiting for the fuel pump to finish cycling.

Reliable diagnosis requires a pressure gauge. With the gauge installed, cycle the pump and watch the pressure. If it drops, plug the return line. If it holds then the issue is likely the regulator. If it still drops then the issue is likely leaky injectors.

Could also be fuel pressure regulator or injectors. If the regulator is seeping, fuel pressure may be low in the line. If the injectors are seeping fuel pressure will be low AND there will be raw fuel sitting in the intake. Are you hitting the button as soon as you turn the key? Try waiting for the fuel pump to finish cycling.

Reliable diagnosis requires a pressure gauge. With the gauge installed, cycle the pump and watch the pressure. If it drops, plug the return line. If it holds then the issue is likely the regulator. If it still drops then the issue is likely leaky injectors.

From 2006 onward there is no return fuel line. The fuel pressure regulator is located under a separate cap on the fuel pump body inside the fuel tank. The fuel pressure regulator is not available separately from Yamaha, but it is a fairly common automotive part that is available from an auto supply or online. It's relatively cheap for the part, but requires removing the fuel pump from the fuel tank. The fuel pump housing does not need disassembling.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/191684542894

I have an 07 with 50K miles. Mine would start up fine then stall out everytime I began to take off. I bump started it in 2nd and it would run fine until I stopped again. Problem would occur everytime I shut if off and started out again. I thought maybe a FI was dirty and possible allowing fuel into the engine while stopped. Just before I did a long ride I put fuel injection cleaner in two fill ups on the trip. I haven't had a problem since. I got lucky.