Hi all, new from Oregon

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decker

Reaction score
Hey all. Just picked up my first sport touring bike and it just happens to be a 2011 FJR1300. I've been riding a 2003 V-Star 1100 for the past few years and a KLR650 before that.

I've always considered myself a "ride green" guy, even went and did a test ride on a 2010 C14, but that dealer thought it was ok to sell a bike with a radiator with JB weld holding the outlet on. Needless to say I passed on the particular ex police bike. My local yammie dealer had this ugly 1970s pinstriped FJR with an actual crocodile skin seat.

Try as I might I could not get them to budge on the price, but trying to find a used but not used to sport touring bike around here is pretty hard.

Well I brought her home and spent the next 5 hours pulling off vinyl stripes by hand and eraser wheel. Needless to say there is a bunch of rubber floating around.

What I'm left with is a nice looking Liquid Silver 2011 FJR at 46k miles ... with some booboos. The vinyl was hiding what I suspect was a lowside lowspeed crash. The upper and lower cowling on the left has been replaced and the engine case has some pretty deep scrapes in it. (I will be looking for a replacement.) The panniers also have a bit of rash so I'm deciding on a repaint in the same silver or hunting down a nice burnt orange or copper vinyl to wrap them for an offset color.

I've got all kinds of goodies on the way. T-Rex engine and pannier guards, new cheap shinkos, Yammie top box, EBC pads, and some other bits. Also found a stock takeoff seat cover and some foam to customize the saddle before I spend the money on an aftermarket one.

Because yes.... it still has the crocodile seat cover.(for now...)

Hey all. Just picked up my first sport touring bike and it just happens to be a 2011 FJR1300. I've been riding a 2003 V-Star 1100 for the past few years and a KLR650 before that.

I've always considered myself a "ride green" guy, even went and did a test ride on a 2010 C14, but that dealer thought it was ok to sell a bike with a radiator with JB weld holding the outlet on. Needless to say I passed on the particular ex police bike. My local yammie dealer had this ugly 1970s pinstriped FJR with an actual crocodile skin seat.

Try as I might I could not get them to budge on the price, but trying to find a used but not used to sport touring bike around here is pretty hard.

Well I brought her home and spent the next 5 hours pulling off vinyl stripes by hand and eraser wheel. Needless to say there is a bunch of rubber floating around.

What I'm left with is a nice looking Liquid Silver 2011 FJR at 46k miles ... with some booboos. The vinyl was hiding what I suspect was a lowside lowspeed crash. The upper and lower cowling on the left has been replaced and the engine case has some pretty deep scrapes in it. (I will be looking for a replacement.) The panniers also have a bit of rash so I'm deciding on a repaint in the same silver or hunting down a nice burnt orange or copper vinyl to wrap them for an offset color.

I've got all kinds of goodies on the way. T-Rex engine and pannier guards, new cheap shinkos, Yammie top box, EBC pads, and some other bits. Also found a stock takeoff seat cover and some foam to customize the saddle before I spend the money on an aftermarket one.

Because yes.... it still has the crocodile seat cover.(for now...)
Pictures?

Welcome to the forum from eastern Canada.

Here's what she looked like at pickup. I actually liked the pin striping but up close it was missing chunks and wasnt in good shape. FJR as was.jpg

Here's what she looked like at pickup. I actually liked the pin striping but up close it was missing chunks and wasnt in good shape. View attachment 6959
Is that a recovered OEM seat or an aftermarket one? (Check for label on the underside). If aftermarket, it could be premium comfort and you won't want to do more than cover it.

I think It's OEM. The seat pan on the front says >PP-TD30< Y3P6, the back has the same molded in. Is that the comfort seat? It is pretty comfy....

I think It's OEM. The seat pan on the front says >PP-TD30< Y3P6, the back has the same molded in. Is that the comfort seat? It is pretty comfy....
Aftermarket custom seats are often built on an OEM seat pan. Crocodile seat cover was never a Yamaha option!

I have no clue about the history of the bike. I couldn't find the "carfax" type reports for the bike. I'm probably the third owner, as the guy that traded it into my local stealership was also local.

It was definitely different. If the pinstripes had been in better shape I might have saved them, just removing some of them. Almost all of them had chunks missing.

The Croc cover? I doubt it's real. I'll figure it out once I remove it. Being 325+ lbs, I need to add some stiffer foam :ROFLMAO:

I have no clue about the history of the bike. I couldn't find the "carfax" type reports for the bike. I'm probably the third owner, as the guy that traded it into my local stealership was also local.

It was definitely different. If the pinstripes had been in better shape I might have saved them, just removing some of them. Almost all of them had chunks missing.

The Croc cover? I doubt it's real. I'll figure it out once I remove it. Being 325+ lbs, I need to add some stiffer foam :ROFLMAO:
Spendy, but consider a custom Russell seat. They can be built with inner springs for heavier riders.

Thanks for the info! I'll take a look... after the credit card stops smoking. $5250 for the bike, 800ish for the title, license, and "mandatory dealer fees," and ... $2500 in "stuff," and the wife looked at me cross-eyed for my "$5,000" motorcycle.

I too recognize the 2nd floor of the Beaverton Motorcycles & Powersports dealership. It's worth an occasional visit just to look at the vast collection of vintage motorcycles Bob Lanphere gathered over the years.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum, Decker.

Well, my bike is back there. I took it over to EDR Performance (I work in the same parking lot). They brought to my attention that when the bars are straight, the front tire is not. It's about 5-10* to the right. So we'll see what their service department says. Supposedly, the bike was "safety checked," and they didn't catch this. I'm not too happy with them right now.

I'll reserve judgment on the outcome, however, and will post back here with what they say. It sucked dropping it off Saturday morning and then looking at the beautiful weekend. Good thing I have a V-Star as well. :)