Changing Brake Fluid ABS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spankyaf

Reaction score
Is there anything tricky about changing brake fluid on the ABS bike? I cant seem to find much doing searches which either means there's no problem or stay away from doing it.

FJR Tech describes changing the clutch fluid can I use the same little gizmo on the brakes?

You can do it.

You are supposed to get some special Yamaha doo-hickey to get all the fluid out of the ABS pump when bleeding, but it is not required. Just bleed away. If you want all the old stuff out of the ABS pump then after bleeding, go activate the ABS brakes and bleed again. Probably not necessary though.

How about if you screw up? How hard is getting air out? I don't *plan* on it happening, but then I have to work on bikes myself, plus there's always the possibility...

For me it's a pain in the ass with regular brakes, so it makes me hesitate with the ABS system.

It is a bitch to gt trhe air out.
NOw go buy a mighty vac from cycle gearto bleed your brakes ,no problem when used correctly

I installed speed-bleeders on my Honda Goldwing w/ABS and it made changing the brake/clutch fluid a snap. My '08 FJR is new to me and I'm wondering if anyone has installed speed-bleeders to their bike to change the fluid?

I wouldn't use vacuum to bleed ABS brakes; BMW also warns against it. Just do it the old fashioned way, by pumping the lever and pedal. Remember you have TWO circuits on the front right caliper. The way to circumvent draining the ABS pumps is to bleed your system every year; that's what I do. It's super easy to bleed, even the old-fashioned way by yourself. And same with the clutch; do it by hand, not vacuum.

I only use vacuum on cars, which have a much larger reservoir. And always finish a vacuum job with 2 or 3 pumps of the lever/pedal. Good luck.

JC

I was initially intimidated by this task. After reading a few threads on this forum and consulting the service manual, doing it became far simpler than I thought.