GPS Mounting on stem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon06

Reaction score
I have been reading all the posts on all the various ways to mount a GPS. Seems like stem mounting is most popular. My question is, does having the GPS mounted on the stem block or restrict acess to the ignition switch? In the pictures it looks like it would be hard to get to the key. Those of you with stem mounted units, how do you like it there??

Thanks!!

I have been reading all the posts on all the various ways to mount a GPS. Seems like stem mounting is most popular. My question is, does having the GPS mounted on the stem block or restrict acess to the ignition switch? In the pictures it looks like it would be hard to get to the key. Those of you with stem mounted units, how do you like it there??
Thanks!!
Yes it does make it a bit clumsy to access the key. But I like it in that position. I use a 5" RAM arm to get the GPS up and over my tank bag.

You still have the ability to reach around the GPS to the key switch.

As an aside, I am now using a "prototype" of a widget that allows a different way to mount a GPS in the same general location. It is a small aluminum block that is mounted on the two bolts at the front of the gas tank. It can be drilled and threaded at 3/8"-16 for a ram ball (like mine) or a smaller #10-24 hole for mounting a Techmount type articulating arm and platform.

I chose to use a Ram ball so I can easily move my Zumo mount between bikes.

Here's a couple 1000 words:

100_1091.jpg

100_1092.jpg

100_1096.jpg

One advantage of this mount over the ram ball on the steering stem nut is that the GPS doesn't move with the bars. So the cables to it do not need as much slack. Just a slightly different way to skin that cat.

The widget was made by forum member 08FJR4ME (Dave). You'll note in the pictures that there are two other holes drilled and threaded into the top of this block. This piece started life as a different type of a mount and was later adapted by me to this use. I have suggested to Dave that there may be a market for these, and any that are made for this purpose would be a bit narrower so would look a little nicer installed.

Yep, they can tend to block access to the ignition. It's not terrible, but you will have to get used to working around it. How much interferance will depend on whether you use the short or long stem and how you adjust it. I still really like my stem mount, though, and it isn't enough to deter me from using one.

FredW, 08FJR4ME,

Brilliant!, you guys beat me to it, I have been wondering how to utilize this mounting point for electronics and stuff for ages, yeah I'm just a dumb Brit what can I say. It seems so obvious when you see it done and done well.

Like you said the equipment stays in one place, the cables can be fed to it easily. Me likey

Good show old chap(s). :yahoo:

Keep the updates coming.

DB

The setup from FredW looks very sturdy to say the least and I'd be really worried of losing the family jewels :unsure: in an unfortunate getoff over this thing...just saying

Is that anyone else s concern or am I being overly cautious and paranoid?

Alfredo

Just to be sure that we are on the same page here, the black vinyl thing in those pictures is my Bagster tank cover, not the seat.

The widget part that is sturdily bolted to the front bolts of the tank is only ~ 3" tall, so doesn't even protrude above the top of the tank. The ram ball mounting arm will pivot if you bump into the GPS forcefully, just like it would if it were on the steering stem.

Just to be sure that we are on the same page here, the black vinyl thing in those pictures is my Bagster tank cover, not the seat.
The widget part that is sturdily bolted to the front bolts of the tank is only ~ 3" tall, so doesn't even protrude above the top of the tank. The ram ball mounting arm will pivot if you bump into the GPS forcefully, just like it would if it were on the steering stem.
got it, the widget picture not mounted made it just look somewhat bigger

thanks

Looks clean and a nice setup. I have mine on the stem mount and it is OK, but I want to add a adaptiv radar detector , and I prefer to keep it in front of myself, vs on the bars. It looks like with yours I be able to fit both, one on the stem the other on yours

I've been looking for a mount like this as I think I would prefer not to have my future gadgets moving with the bars. I could have sworn I had seen a vendor or a thread showing something like this bolted to the tank support for about the same price as a stem techmount, but can't seem to find it now. This ring a bell with anyone?

It's really not a big deal mounting something to the steering stem. Yeah it moves with the bars, but not very much. I never notice it. It's not like mounting to one of the hydraulic reservoirs, where movement is much more radical.

Nice looking mount! I am interested. How can I get one???
Try pinging 08FJR4ME. He is the master craftsman. I'm thinking if there was enough interest he wouldn't mind turning a few out for a reasonable price.

I've been looking for a mount like this as I think I would prefer not to have my future gadgets moving with the bars. I could have sworn I had seen a vendor or a thread showing something like this bolted to the tank support for about the same price as a stem techmount, but can't seem to find it now. This ring a bell with anyone?

I think you are thinking of the Migsel Ram compatible base about 1/2 way down the page. But they cost $75 plus the ram ball.

It's really not a big deal mounting something to the steering stem. Yeah it moves with the bars, but not very much. I never notice it. It's not like mounting to one of the hydraulic reservoirs, where movement is much more radical.
That is true. I previously had mine mounted on a stem nut that I made by drilling and tapping out the nut from a Techmount. It wasn't bad, but why not do it even better if the cost is about the same?

The other problem I had was doing any maintenance on the steering became difficult because I red loctited the ram ball to the stem nut for added security. That means you'd need a deep big ass socket to get that off (cha-ching $$). This whole thing comes right off easy peasy with the two 10mm cap screws.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is some interest in having some made let me know and i can work something out for sure. What FredW has is part of the original mount that i made but was not adjustable. He has some good input about using this for Ram ball mount and suggested that i make these. This is a very solid setup and keeps whatever you mount in a constant position which i like. It also keeps it center on the bike so your visibility is still looking forward. Keys are easy to reach and i have a good visual on all the gages too.

Here is the current version that i am using now for my Zumo 660 which is adjustable. I can make these for any application if need be. (GPS, Radar, Radio, camera or whatever)

this is how i mounted mine after trying it mounted lower. i like it up there and now never look down at the speedo. on bad bumps it will tap the windshield but i don't look through the shield down there so i can live with a couple nicks.

001-3.jpg

laptopfirstload055.jpg

laptopfirstload051.jpg

If there is some interest in having some made let me know and i can work something out for sure. What FredW has is part of the original mount that i made but was not adjustable. He has some good input about using this for Ram ball mount and suggested that i make these. This is a very solid setup and keeps whatever you mount in a constant position which i like. It also keeps it center on the bike so your visibility is still looking forward. Keys are easy to reach and i have a good visual on all the gages too.
Here is the current version that i am using now for my Zumo 660 which is adjustable. I can make these for any application if need be. (GPS, Radar, Radio, camera or whatever)

Would be definately interested in this! Hopefully some more people are as well to make it worth your time.... What are we looking at on price? Thanks.

It's not like mounting to one of the hydraulic reservoirs, where movement is much more radical.
What kind of riding do you guys do, anyway? I can imagine no situation where I'd want to look at the GPS that would involve near-lock steering of the handlebars!! :blink:

Mine is mounted in the mirror hole, and it's always there, down and left. It hasn't ever not been there except when I remove it from the bike. Never once have I ever had to think to myself, "Now where did that GPS screen get off to? Oh, there it is, 3/16th of an inch further back than I expected it!"