GPS Mounting on stem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not like mounting to one of the hydraulic reservoirs, where movement is much more radical.
What kind of riding do you guys do, anyway? I can imagine no situation where I'd want to look at the GPS that would involve near-lock steering of the handlebars!! :blink:
I-80 at freeway speeds navigating across the continents, surface streets at 35, etc. I don't look at my GPS while needing 100% riding concentration like twisties.

Having both a primary GPS on a stem stand and a backup on the reservoir......the stem is FAR more stable and easier to read. That's partly due to road condition, wind, tire balance, and motor vibration.

You still have the ability to reach around the GPS to the key switch.
As an aside, I am now using a "prototype" of a widget that allows a different way to mount a GPS in the same general location. It is a small aluminum block that is mounted on the two bolts at the front of the gas tank. It can be drilled and threaded at 3/8"-16 for a ram ball (like mine) or a smaller #10-24 hole for mounting a Techmount type articulating arm and platform.

I chose to use a Ram ball so I can easily move my Zumo mount between bikes.

Here's a couple 1000 words:

100_1091.jpg

One advantage of this mount over the ram ball on the steering stem nut is that the GPS doesn't move with the bars. So the cables to it do not need as much slack. Just a slightly different way to skin that cat.

I too would like a set up with the ball on top What do you think DAVE--price??

The widget was made by forum member 08FJR4ME (Dave). You'll note in the pictures that there are two other holes drilled and threaded into the top of this block. This piece started life as a different type of a mount and was later adapted by me to this use. I have suggested to Dave that there may be a market for these, and any that are made for this purpose would be a bit narrower so would look a little nicer installed.
Would Like one Too ; with Ball--price??

Thanks

Jim

Last edited by a moderator: