spare keys

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't hide them on the bike but I always carry a spare set with me. I am obsessive about that, do the same for the car as well.

Burt...This has been done to death. You can probably search "Spare key site:fjrforum.com" from Google and find a load of topics. There are tons of opinions, but the biggest one is: How smart is it to talk about where a key is hidden on a certian type of motorcycle on a public forum?

Many of us carry an extra one in our jacket or somewhere on our person. I wouldn't leave one on the bike.

Burt, please tell us where you end up hiding your spare key so we can ride your bike after you park it somewhere.

I have a secret panel in my riding boot like James Bond does where I keep my extra key.

Burt...This has been done to death. You can probably search "Spare key site:fjrforum.com" from Google and find a load of topics. There are tons of opinions, but the biggest one is: How smart is it to talk about where a key is hidden on a certain type of motorcycle on a public forum?

Many of us carry an extra one in our jacket or somewhere on our person. I wouldn't leave one on the bike.
Burt, just ignore HRZ: HotRodZilla stashes his spare key up his fat ass! Since I travel into Old Mexico a lot and don't want to be 1K kilometers South of the Border without a key, I zip tie a spare key onto the wiring harness leading into the headlight assembly.

I've been hiding a key on my bikes for my Mexican motorcycling adventures for 45 years now and have never lost a bike to Los Banditos! Besides, when I go to a FJR Forum Event: Those assholes HRZ, Patch308 and SkooterG will move my Feejer to a hiding spot whether they have a fecking key or not. They think it is so damn funny to watch this Alzheimered and Senile Old Goat wandering around the hotel grounds the next morning looking for his FJR! They shouldn't pick on we poor Old Folks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear a dog tag around my neck with my ID info and a spare key wrapped up with it.

I have a spare on the bike, I wear so many different jackets and suits. I sent you a PM to where I hide mine.

for 4 years I did not carry an extra key with me, either on the bike or on myself. We planned a 2 week ride through various states and I thought I should put an extra key on the bike, in case I got hurt or lost, My wife would have access to the stuff on the bike, as well as move it or whatever. Damn if I didn't loose my key the second day out in Frisco Co. Saved my butt big time, Still carry an extra, but won't say where. AJ may try to borrow it if he sees it parked somewhere. :p

Sometimes I throw an extra key in the tank bag. Hell, I've got so much crap in there I can't even find it. :angry:

Burt...This has been done to death. You can probably search "Spare key site:fjrforum.com" from Google and find a load of topics. There are tons of opinions, but the biggest one is: How smart is it to talk about where a key is hidden on a certain type of motorcycle on a public forum?

Burt, just ignore HRZ: HotRodZilla stashes his spare key up his fat ass! Since I travel into Old Mexico a lot and don't want to be 1K kilometers South of the Border without a key, I zip tie a spare key onto the wiring harness leading into the headlight assembly.

I've been hiding a key on my bikes for my Mexican motorcycling adventures for 45 years now and have never lost a bike to Los Banditos! Besides, when I go to a FJR Forum Event: Those assholes HRZ, Patch308 and SkooterG will move my Feejer to a hiding spot whether they have a fecking key or not. They think it is so damn funny to watch this Alzheimered and Senile Old Goat wandering around the hotel grounds the next morning looking for his FJR! They shouldn't pick on we poor Old Folks!
Gawd you're dumb. Now when I see you in Salida, Patch and I are gonna park your bike on the other side of town. :p

Gawd you're dumb hung like a Horse! Now when I see you in Salida, Patch and I are gonna park your bike on the other side of town. :p
Fixed and Thanks!

Took my key to a locksmith and had him make a copy from a blank with a flat head, just stick it in my wallet.

Took my key to a locksmith and had him make a copy from a blank with a flat head, just stick it in my wallet.
Same thing I do, since I always carry the same wallet, unlike my jackets or boots. I used one of the plastic-headed OEM keys and busted off the plastic with a hammer--the tang of the key is the same width as the rest of the blade, so it's very compact. Slide it into one of the side pockets of the wallet, right in there with my insurance card. Doesn't even leave a tell-tale distinctively shaped bump in the wallet, the way that condom you used to carry around did.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep a spare laced into my boot laces. I have been known to loose a key but I have never lost my boots... :lol:

I keep a spare laced into my boot laces. I have been known to loose a key but I have never lost my boots... :lol:
kloj, you obviously have never dated any of the FJR Ladies from our fine FJR Forum then! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!
Dude...Just because that's how you lost your virginity doesn't mean that's how normal people lose their boots.